OTW eliminates weight ins...

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well done :clap:

Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial links here, we don't allow it

Whoops.  Sorry Tim.

On the water is eliminating their kill tournament portion of the Striper Fest. I’m sure most of you got the same email I did from OTW or else I’m sure you smart internet types could find it if need be...

That’s great news. 

I just read through the updated rules and I’m wondering what will stop people from submitting old photos and claiming they were just caught or exaggerating the length. They should have some type of requirement for a specific print out or sticker to be in the photo and also require a photo of the fish against a measuring device.    This is how other catch and release tournaments are run. 

I don’t really care about the tournament or anything just glad they finally did away with the kill part of it. 

19 mins ago, z-man said:

That’s great news. 

I just read through the updated rules and I’m wondering what will stop people from submitting old photos and claiming they were just caught or exaggerating the length. They should have some type of requirement for a specific print out or sticker to be in the photo and also require a photo of the fish against a measuring device.    This is how other catch and release tournaments are run. 

I think it would be cool if they included a  tapemeasure with their logo on it you'd have to use to measure your fish, thought it wouldn't be hard for them to include a flag or something that would have to be included in the picture with the kit they send you.

I do like the idea that folks won't be killing fish just to weigh in for a tournament, and folks that do take a fish or two won't feel obligated to kill the biggest one they catch.   

i just went through the rules. unless i missed it its not just catch and release.most of the people i know who fished it weight very few fish if any because of the chance to catch a bigger one that week.i read the rules as just photo. many people keep their camera at home.

Right, I think it's pretty clear that it's not catch and release only, just that the entrants won't need a weight slip.   The fish they take a picture of could be released or kept.

11 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Let us all hope that some of the other local kill tournaments, get a hint and do te same thing. Long overdo 

like the one red top does every year?

58 mins ago, gray gables said:

like the one red top does every year?

They haven't done that one for several years. I want to say 5 maybe?

1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

Right, I think it's pretty clear that it's not catch and release only, just that the entrants won't need a weight slip.   The fish they take a picture of could be released or kept.

Hasn't the C&R been part of the tournament for several years???????????

I’ll be interested in seeing how long this lasts. I can see there being a lot of issues and complaints about fish size and etc. Which will lead to a lot of the teams/clubs dropping out, I think that’ll take a big chunk of the money they’re making off the tournament. Unless theirs a lot of c&r support actually joining and paying for the tourney, I think it will fail this way. I know a lot of the guys who submit high numbers in the c&r section are in it for the weigh prizes, they are just submitting the ones not big enough to crack teams top 5.

There was a pretty popular tourney PBR in Rhode Island that tried to the same thing it failed and was gone by year 3.

19 mins ago, b-ware said:

Hasn't the C&R been part of the tournament for several years???????????

It has and had its own prize pool, it was always just who ever released the most inches of bass based on submitting 5 per week. It was by length no weight or weight estimates involved. Only last year with the 70lb released did it earn a top award.

As with anything new I am sure there will be some hiccups in the competitive aspects. But, to me, it is a no brainer to go to C&R only. They will figure it out. Heck, just about everyone i know that does the tourney has never even weighed in a fish. They do the tourney for the festival and free stuff. Way to go OTW!! I'm sure it was a tough decision

I've never fished a tournament but I'm grateful that more and more people are sensitive to the sustainability of our fishery. Progress not perfection usually works pretty well.