Bfishes333

Boot leather conditioner recommendation?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Good afternoon everyone. It's about time to condition some boots. A pair of Anderson Bean and Luchesse, both with Bison vamps. I'm up in the air between Obenaufs LP Heavy duty and Bick4. Which one do you guys recommend? Thanks for any input or suggestions in advance.  

1 hour ago, Bfishes333 said:

Good afternoon everyone. It's about time to condition some boots. A pair of Anderson Bean and Luchesse, both with Bison vamps. I'm up in the air between Obenaufs LP Heavy duty and Bick4. Which one do you guys recommend? Thanks for any input or suggestions in advance.  

Makes me chuckle...I swear this comes up every 6 months or so (not always in the Tavern).  Rather than just push something, you be the judge.  Been using this stuff a long, long time. 

Fiebing.jpg

Browning.jpg

Browning II.jpg

Azula.jpg

Walther PPK-S IV.JPG

Edited by mako20ft
Add pics

1 min ago, MitchellNJ said:

I've heard good things about NikWax. Been meaning to recondition a very old pair of Bass hunting boots.

you don't know what the hell you are talking about! 

Before I even read the body of your post, I was getting ready to respond with the Obenaufs LP. 

Started using the stuff about 20 years ago and have never looked back.  If you have a boot dryer, use it before applying to get the interior of the boots nice and warm. As you apply it, the warmth draws the preservative to the inner layers of leather. 

One possible downside to the Obenaufs: It has a very slight, but pleasant scent of honey. Had a guy tell me he was backpacking in the Cascades, and put his boots outside his tent. Woke up in the middle of the night to find a bear chewing on them. Upon shouting and shaking his tent, the bear ran off, taking one boot with it.  He had to pack out bearfoot.

I clean with a saddle soap and condition with mink oil. Seems to do the trick for me. 

I have a pair of Salomon hikers I need to condition. I bought Nikwax based on the a lot of recommendations, including Salomons website. 

2 hours ago, seadogface said:

SnoSeal

Bee''s wax, heat and melt it in. It will darken leather but they will be pretty much waterproof. 

I agree with this.

If you just want to soften the leather, and not water proof it, Neatsfoot oil is the stuff.

It does have an odor, but will soften leather like nothing else.

9 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

I'm going to ask the guy who reconditions them to make sure they can fit up your ass

You're swinging a bat in a trash can...