Tomm24

Have you ever eaten a Bergall?

Rate this topic

Have you ever eaten a bergall?   29 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever eaten a Bergall

• YES
    • NO

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 posts in this topic

Only true for the little ones, the big ones have been sought after for a loooong time now, by savvy fishermen.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, MakoMike said:

But some of the guys that fish with me have, they keep the big ones we catch out on cox's ledge. They say they taste like the kissing cousins, tog.

More like Sea Bass. As a matter of fact; if you didn't see the raw flesh you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Years ago fishing on a boat out of Captree for cod on the offshore wrecks the mate was filleting large bergals and frying the meat in butter.  He passed it around to the passengers and I will tell you it was some of the finest fried fish I've ever eaten.  Don't be afraid of keeping, and eating, the big ones.

What does it mean when someone says a fish is bony? All fish have the same bone structure, if you don't want bones then learn how to use your knife. I've always eaten Bergalls, they cook them for me while I'm out there fishing 10 minutes after I filet them. nly problem with cooking fish so soon after death s the meat curls up

On 2/17/2019 at 7:43 AM, Billy 40 said:

What does it mean when someone says a fish is bony? All fish have the same bone structure, if you don't want bones then learn how to use your knife. I've always eaten Bergalls, they cook them for me while I'm out there fishing 10 minutes after I filet them. nly problem with cooking fish so soon after death s the meat curls up

Some fish like trout have thin pin bones that stick out from the rib cage. 

Whiting on the other hand are nice to eat. Grab the head and lift all the bones out.

Flatfish also have no pin bones. Now I know you've filled your share of fluke.

Pike are tough to clean, they have that wierd Y bone. But all those fish you just make a couple of cuts down teh middle and there are no more bones. All fish are good to eat, provided they are properly prepared.

12 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

Pike are tough to clean, they have that wierd Y bone. But all those fish you just make a couple of cuts down teh middle and there are no more bones. All fish are good to eat, provided they are properly prepared.

Agreed; a V cut for the pin bones is easiest. There was an old couple I used to know that used needle nose pliers to pull them. No waste; but damn...

Trick for small pike and pickerel. Slice across the filets every 1/4 and pan fry meat side down. The Y bones get so britttle you dont notice them.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Agreed; a V cut for the pin bones is easiest. There was an old couple I used to know that used needle nose pliers to pull them. No waste; but damn...

I hate when mates make that cut.  half the filet is gone.  They're not even looking most of the time, they just make a cut and throw away half the meat. Trout and salmon the pin bones come right out with tweezers.  Everything else i cut the filet along one side of the bones then take out the sliver of meat that includes the bones. Its a problem with most fish...tiles and blacks especially.  With bass and most other larger species, i use the J cut which will cut around the whole rib cage.