Tomm24

Have you ever eaten a Bergall?

Rate this topic

Have you ever eaten a bergall?   17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever eaten a Bergall

• YES
    • NO

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 posts in this topic

Only true for the little ones, the big ones have been sought after for a loooong time now, by savvy fishermen.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, MakoMike said:

But some of the guys that fish with me have, they keep the big ones we catch out on cox's ledge. They say they taste like the kissing cousins, tog.

More like Sea Bass. As a matter of fact; if you didn't see the raw flesh you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Years ago fishing on a boat out of Captree for cod on the offshore wrecks the mate was filleting large bergals and frying the meat in butter.  He passed it around to the passengers and I will tell you it was some of the finest fried fish I've ever eaten.  Don't be afraid of keeping, and eating, the big ones.

What does it mean when someone says a fish is bony? All fish have the same bone structure, if you don't want bones then learn how to use your knife. I've always eaten Bergalls, they cook them for me while I'm out there fishing 10 minutes after I filet them. nly problem with cooking fish so soon after death s the meat curls up