Tuby27

Penn carnage II surf casting rod: did i get a defective rod?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ordered from tackledirect on 1/5/19 and just got it today. Penn carnage II 11’ surf casting rod. Upon inspection, I noticed the lower two guides (before and after the break) looked too bent/leaned forward. The rest looked “normal/straighter”. Is this normal or a did I get a defect? See pics. Anyone have the same rods and can chime in? 

Thanks. 

5D987F5B-D649-4696-BB08-B16179B30B03.jpeg

DFA783CE-F731-47AC-84E0-C65004F555F7.jpeg

FCED0FBF-3DF8-471F-BBDA-C1B7EB7674DE.jpeg

Edited by Tuby27

I was looking but wasn’t able to find any paint chips or cracks on the guide feet. I figured if it was bent then there would be some kind of pressure point where it bent but wasn’t able to find one.  I also didn’t want to try to bend it back as I didn’t want to damage the guide feet and “glue” (not sure what you call the clear hardener). 

6 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Was the rod shipped in a cardboard tube ??? 

Yes and in plastic bag with bubble wrap on both ends. 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

@fmtuna - can you check this out if you get a minute? Very much appreciated, thanks :)

TimS

I emailed and received a reply from “Matt” at tackledirect, with a return label, but was told they would have to order a new one again. I’m guessing I’ll have to wait another month to get a replacement, as they had to order this one. 

Just wanted some input before sending it back. 

Thanks all!

F0DE3FB7-892B-45CD-8DF3-AE638A811EA0.jpeg

D20B3068-9422-40E4-BFF1-3C73C4FF598B.jpeg

19 hours ago, Tuby27 said:

I emailed and received a reply from “Matt” at tackledirect, with a return label, but was told they would have to order a new one again. I’m guessing I’ll have to wait another month to get a replacement, as they had to order this one. 

If they don't have it in stock the options for replacement are limited to ordering a new one :)  They are super helpful at Tackle Direct, their customer service is second to none :th:

TimS

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yep.. they defiantly look crunched to me... and sorry for that.  Considering how we pack rods, I am going to guess it came in that way and we missed it when we packed it... hopefully it is an just an off season buy and we did not throw a wrench into a trip...

Edited by fmtuna

31 mins ago, fmtuna said:

Yep.. they defiantly look crunched to me... and sorry for that.  Considering how we pack rods, I am going to guess it came in that way and we missed it when we packed it... hopefully it is an just an off season buy and we did not throw a wrench into a trip...

c277fdd4b5dea99e728ff7f600f9e169ac6c644a.jpg?image_play_button_size=2x&image_crop_resized=960x540&image_play_button=1&image_play_button_color=19396be0

How To Pack A Rod

No problem, and yes it was packaged exactly like in the video and will be shipped back exactly as packaged. Shipping was super quick, I got the tracking email on Saturday morning and the rod shipped across the US to me on monday morning at 10am. “Matt” quickly replied to my email about the possible defect with a return label. I was looking forward to using it too, especially after a month of waiting, but I guess I’m going to have to wait longer. Good things come to those who wait!

Thanks for the reply. 

5 hours ago, ANGCorsair said:

Well that stinks. Definitely bent. I can take a pic of same rod when I get home. 

Tackle Direct are extremely supportive and helpful on advice and CS.

Thanks!