Stuu

My sons nice “little” Tarpon

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I lost one a little bigger to a straightened jig hook. Had them rolling in front of us for 30+ minutes, until we had to leave them (still rolling). Took awhile to find something they would touch. He started out fly fishing, but after I hooked up with a CAL, he switched to the same. Safely released.

Before these fish, we were only catching very small ones. 

2 pics, one with flash, one without.

D8999353-6ADC-4985-AB81-7C07500D7870.jpeg.64f64d3430829a36a6c95e2b10d347d6.jpeg49561116-AA13-4CF0-83F1-51779D8138B8.jpeg.a6119e2f671b5f70131c2508d1556a22.jpeg

Nice fish, from shore too it looks like. I'm in SW FL now attempting to find some backwater canals, ditches and creeks. Hoping to jump some juvi tarpon. That is a recent catch right.

14 mins ago, Stuu said:

That was last Thursday night.

Thanks, you have given me some hope. I'll keep reconning my shore areas until I jump some juvies. Check your PM.

When checking canals, creeks, pond areas would there be signs of juvenile tarpon? I mean other than seeing them on bait or jumping. New to this, but the adult tarpon surface for air is this the same for juvenile tarpon? How often would they surface. I guess what I am asking is when checking out areas to fish other than knowing it has a connection to the gulf are there any other signs. Have heard it's not that unusual for tarpon to appear in what appear to be landlocked ponds etc. Underground pipes, streams etc, lot of waterways here.

One more thing STU, no fishing my condo either. Hope to beat that like you. BTW I practice catch and release, even in my New England spots.

1 hour ago, Livliner said:

When checking canals, creeks, pond areas would there be signs of juvenile tarpon? I mean other than seeing them on bait or jumping. New to this, but the adult tarpon surface for air is this the same for juvenile tarpon? 

Livliner, I answered your pm, but for others, yes, we usually see surface activity in the form of rolls, but not always. 

On 2/4/2019 at 9:12 PM, Livliner said:

When checking canals, creeks, pond areas would there be signs of juvenile tarpon? I mean other than seeing them on bait or jumping. New to this, but the adult tarpon surface for air is this the same for juvenile tarpon? How often would they surface. I guess what I am asking is when checking out areas to fish other than knowing it has a connection to the gulf are there any other signs. Have heard it's not that unusual for tarpon to appear in what appear to be landlocked ponds etc. Underground pipes, streams etc, lot of waterways here.

One more thing STU, no fishing my condo either. Hope to beat that like you. BTW I practice catch and release, even in my New England spots.

If you can, rent a kayak, that will open up a myriad of spots for you.  Also a live-bait bucket with an aerator, and a couple dozen live shrimp.  Cruise the mangrove lines and look for tarpon laying in the shadows, they'll show up as straight black lines in the water.  Pitch a shrimp in there and hang on!  The 100lbers are fun for a while, but the little ones are even better on light tackle.  Good luck!

On 2/11/2019 at 9:07 AM, Drumfish420 said:

If you can, rent a kayak, that will open up a myriad of spots for you. 

The 100lbers are fun for a while, but the little ones are even better on light tackle.  

This, 100%

On 2/4/2019 at 4:12 PM, Stuu said:

I lost one a little bigger to a straightened jig hook. Had them rolling in front of us for 30+ minutes, until we had to leave them (still rolling). Took awhile to find something they would touch. He started out fly fishing, but after I hooked up with a CAL, he switched to the same. Safely released.

Before these fish, we were only catching very small ones. 

2 pics, one with flash, one without.

D8999353-6ADC-4985-AB81-7C07500D7870.jpeg.64f64d3430829a36a6c95e2b10d347d6.jpeg49561116-AA13-4CF0-83F1-51779D8138B8.jpeg.a6119e2f671b5f70131c2508d1556a22.jpeg

Congrats !!    estimate how many inches & pounds you would say ?