Stuu

Advice needed: condo association board doesn’t allow fishing

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking for advice from anyone who has any, maybe I should post this in a more general forum, though I’m in a Florida, so...

Long story short, recently moved into a development, and was told “no fishing allowed “. I’ve attached a photo of the rule they sent me to justify this.

This is Florida, the fishing capital of the world, geez !

Anybody have any experience getting the condo board to change a rule like this ? Help me get started, thank you.

7E66D969-82FE-4338-B6FA-0536E24D6B09.jpeg.83312da0e0b957aed90f3afdb6371acb.jpeg

Edited by Stuu

Stu

I have often thought about this as I am looking at properties in FL. This is a question I would ask from the very beginning and would not move into a place that would not allow it.

Now that you are there, if you own one of the condos then get yourself on the board and have it changed.

** fish at night

56 mins ago, EricJ said:

Stu

I have often thought about this as I am looking at properties in FL. This is a question I would ask from the very beginning and would not move into a place that would not allow it.

Now that you are there, if you own one of the condos then get yourself on the board and have it changed.

** fish at night

Eric, I asked multiple people, and they all indicated fishing was allowed. I always asked at whatever development we looked at. It’s no so much for me, but my son, and I have gotten multiple calls about it (him fishing) already. 

I am am looking into “the board thing”, but was curious if anyone had experience with this already.

I just bought and it was one of the things I checked out before purchasing. My backyard is on a closed golf course, with 750 yrds of canal to fish on the other side of the fairway. Would kill me to know those tarpon your son caught were there and  could not fish for them...........

21 mins ago, Flybyme said:

Would kill me to know those tarpon your son caught were there and  could not fish for them...........

There would be no controlling him if that was the case, but they are in a different location. Just lmb in our backyard, that’s why it’s not a huge deal to me, but he likes to fish back there from time to time.

May I ask what they say the "consequence" is if you are fishing?  I have a condo in FL that gave me problems about it but they had nothing to enforce it.

22 mins ago, MPS said:

May I ask what they say the "consequence" is if you are fishing?  I have a condo in FL that gave me problems about it but they had nothing to enforce it.

Honestly not sure. I believe they can “fine” me. 

21 hours ago, Stuu said:

Honestly not sure. I believe they can “fine” me. 

If they have no listed consequences, I am not sure they can legally do anything to you.

You are not breaking any laws as you have a right to access that property.

I follow the rules & its best knowing there is no fishing . People will ..trust me on this  People will leave their crap / food / bait all over the place if fishing is allowed. Florida has so many places to fish ...but not in my backyard I'm happy with it . Unless you want to live like them ? 

Some of these committees think they own the world. How about just paying attention to the issues at hand. 

Gated communities here fine the homeowners if a guest were to speed on the streets of the development. 

Most HOA rules will indicate,

You will be warned first then fined fromthen on. 

We have a small lake right across from us. Our neighbor fished it and was warned no fishing. It’s not in the HOA but it came from the Pres of the community. They rent as do us, so I won’t fish it if we choose to continue to rent here. Enough strikes against you and they will turn you down. We had to renew now for a March resigning of the lease, we go through the approval all over again each year we choose to stay. Basically in short, it’s not worth the BS to just fish for an afternoon or two. 

Its the lovely world of a community in Florida. One person with new found power helps set all the rules. 

Stuu, please let us know what happens, I'm curious how this works out. I agree with Beastly, if there's no consequence listed I don't think they can just make something up. Not saying they won't ;)  

TimS

There was a case in Florida where a municipality tried to stop beach fishing, they blamed shark fishermen for luring in man eating sharks with bait in the water.  At the end of the day, the municipality had no say in regulating a legal activity on State controlled property.

This is where you should start:

Florida Statute Sec. 253.141 Riparian rights defined; certain submerged bottoms subject to private ownership