JRT

Small Bonefish Flies?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

After a 15 year break I'll be doing some bonefishing in May. However looking at bonefish patterns tied on size 6 and 8 hooks they look way too small to me. Do folks really fish size 8 flies for bonefish and do these really make a difference over patterns tied on size 4's tied short/sparse? 

Caught plenty, guided 8 seasons, and never used smaller than 4's...

Don't know for other guys but I always end up using basically the same 3 or 4 flies...

On 2's or 4's...

Good luck

^..^

I think it depends on where you are going and the size of the food that the fish are eating at that location.  I know that size 6 or 8 is pretty standard in the Yucatan and Christmas Island, but larger flies are used in Florida and the Bahamas.

Ted

Thanks all. I'll stick to sizes 2-6. I'm going to little cayman so the fish will be small but most of the fishing is over grass so they have to be able to see the fly! 

Size 6 is useful when fish are tailing.  I have also had a day when fish refused everything larger than a size 6.....yeah, I was skeptical as well but the other guy I was fishing with had the same experience and Chico Fernandez, in his excellent book, mentions that when fish are fussy in his (vast) experience it is more often a size issue than color.  Bone fish have tough rubbery mouths and a small hook holds well.  You will also be using a light drag which makes pulling a hook fairly infrequent.

If you are going to be fishing over grass most patterns need weed guards and flies without protruding eyes are supposedly preferred (not something I have much experience with, however).

Nothing but size 6 & 8 here with over 30 trips to

Belize, Mexico, and Venezuela.

I hear they use larger sizes in the Bahamas, but I've no experience there.

Funny, I just tied this guy up last night. Heading to the keys next week. The guide says they like 3-4” flies. This is a size 2. 

F43A3C0E-56FB-4378-BEB6-04AF6948C04D.jpeg

On 2/7/2019 at 10:29 AM, Seadogg said:

Funny, I just tied this guy up last night. Heading to the keys next week. The guide says they like 3-4” flies. This is a size 2. 

F43A3C0E-56FB-4378-BEB6-04AF6948C04D.jpeg

How did the trip go?  Did those big flies produce?

1 hour ago, Craig Pablo said:

How did the trip go?  Did those big flies produce?

Haha, we actually never went for bones or permit. All tarpon. That went well. Apparently, big flies are common for keys bones. The guide swore 3-4” was the way. He claims that fly is by far the most productive down there.