Trout Nuggets

cashews121

I am not really a trout guy...but I will be trying it out on Long Island hopefully on April 1st. So the question is,,who uses these Berkley Nuggets,,and how do you rig them?  I plan to hit that place that you throw the bait up the tube that goes under the highway among other spots. 

6E2798A8-4313-4C5C-B3F2-9CE44074BF7C.jpeg

To answer your question... as small of a split shot that you can get away with with the nugget on a size 10 trout hook, I like to drift them through pools rather than anchor them with heavier weight to creek bottom and wait for a trout to swim up to it.

But as VCE said they can be difficult to fish when practicing C&R due to the fact that trout will inhale them.  Now that I am fishing way more often and not really keeping any, I prefer to go with trout magnets or other small artificials.

6 hours ago, wellman324 said:

To answer your question... as small of a split shot that you can get away with with the nugget on a size 10 trout hook, I like to drift them through pools rather than anchor them with heavier weight to creek bottom and wait for a trout to swim up to it.

But as VCE said they can be difficult to fish when practicing C&R due to the fact that trout will inhale them.  Now that I am fishing way more often and not really keeping any, I prefer to go with trout magnets or other small artificials.

#10 ,,but what brand do you use? Style?

Edited by cashews121

34 mins ago, cashews121 said:

#10 ,,but what brand do you use? Style?

The guys Ive seen set them up differently depending on fishing on a lake or river fishing.  If your setting up on lake. They use a slip sinker 18- 24 inch's to hold the nugget suspended in the water column. River they use a small split shot 12 inch's after the nugget to let it flow down river 

Edited by vce12342000
duplicate post

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

10 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

The guys Ive seen set them up differently depending on fishing on a lake or river fishing.  If your setting up on lake. They use a slip sinker 18- 24 inch's to hold the nugget suspended in the water column. River they use a small split shot 12 inch's after the nugget to let it flow down river 

But what brand and style?

I have used Gamakatsu size 10 salmon egg hooks last spring. But also liked Eagle Claw Baitholder hooks in size 10.  If you're in a snaggy spot you don't need to use anything that's expensive. 

I found best results when tying direct to my 2-4lb test mainline instead of using a presnelled option.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, wellman324 said:

I have used Gamakatsu size 10 salmon egg hooks last spring. But also liked Eagle Claw Baitholder hooks in size 10.  If you're in a snaggy spot you don't need to use anything that's expensive. 

I found best results when tying direct to my 2-4lb test mainline instead of using a presnelled option.

Looked on Gamakatsu site,,I am having difficulty finding anything listed  as a Salmon hook,,is it just an Octopus in size 10 ?