BrianBM

Laphroaig, and smokey cocktails

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'm pretty much with Fizzyfish on this one.  I enjoy blended scotch on the rocks with a splash of club soda. But Laphroaig, or a similar quality whiskey, I'll always drink neat or with a small amount(1/2 tsp) of water.  Check out whisky glasses like a glencairn.  The shape really does concentrate the luscious smell of good whisky.

 

Your question is a little like asking the best kind of ketchup to put on a great rib-eye steak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Godfather is Scotch and Amaretto. about 2:1 on the rocks. Hence usually use a blended whiskey for that. However it would be intriguing to try an Islay, altho not a dear one. Neat is the only way for any good single malt Scotch, maybe only a dribble of local water.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drunk Uncle looks interesting.  Islay scotch, Cynar, and bianco vermouth at 2:1:1 or so.   Haven't tried one, but I've been drinking boulevardiers with higher end bourbon and it's delicious, and whisky snobs be d*mned.   Those italian bitter digestifs are great in a post dinner cocktail when you inevitably overeat.   Start with the cocktail, than just drink it neat in the same glass after that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 10:22 PM, BrianBM said:

I like the rich smokey smell of Laphroaig. What's a good cocktail, mixed drink,  highball, etc. to show off that smokey scent?

Hey Brian,

I too enjoy the rich smokey qualities of Laphroaig. The Quater Cask is a decent option. Apparently in the smaller cask it matures faster.

It's a bit beyond my budget, but Lagavulin 16 is very nice.

9 hours ago, fishfood said:

Drunk Uncle looks interesting.  Islay scotch, Cynar, and bianco vermouth at 2:1:1 or so.   Haven't tried one, but I've been drinking boulevardiers with higher end bourbon and it's delicious, and whisky snobs be d*mned.   Those italian bitter digestifs are great in a post dinner cocktail when you inevitably overeat.   Start with the cocktail, than just drink it neat in the same glass after that.  

Interesting. So is Campari considered an Italian bitter digestif?

9 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

I'm with the others as far as going neat on a nice Laphroaig, but in this day and age of mixology, there are some nice cocktails out there. 

 

Try a Drunk Uncle

That sounds interesting too, though I'm not a mixed cocktail guy and really enjoy the simplicity of a nice single malt, in the righ glass, w/ a spash of water.

Old habits die hard.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Interesting. So is Campari considered an Italian bitter digestif?

Years ago when I tended bar and negronis were becoming popular, that was how Campari was first described to me.  I thought it was god-awful at the time.  Now I love it, and think it really does help my stomach after a big rich meal.  

 

I think the Cynar in the drunk uncle is pretty similar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the smokey flavor is what you're after but you don't want to sacrifice an expensive single malt to make a mixed drink, try this but consider the sweetness it adds compared to scotch.

texas-bottle-resized-690x1024.png.a47813b29f11e8916f87ae1286112564.png

Edited by BARhopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 9:02 AM, fishfood said:

Years ago when I tended bar and negronis were becoming popular, that was how Campari was first described to me.  I thought it was god-awful at the time.  Now I love it, and think it really does help my stomach after a big rich meal.  

 

I think the Cynar in the drunk uncle is pretty similar.  

Thanks,

May give that a shot, though not w/a $60 plus bottle of single malt.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 7:05 PM, derangler said:

Your question is a little like asking the best kind of ketchup to put on a great rib-eye steak.

Good analogy !

 

But if you were absolutely forced, a Manhattan would be a decent cocktail for it.

Be sure to use fresh quality Vermouth and keep it refrigerated.

 

Surprising how many people don't know how to care for Vermouth, and store it like a high alcohol liquor - and then after drinking old disgusting soured stuff that's been sitting in a cabinet for years, declare that they hate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.