Southerner

Squidder casting ..never seen this before.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My first posting after having lurked on this wonderful site for ages!...and of course it is a request for insight.

I have more modern distance casting reels which perform flawlessly and I am not new to the concepts involved, but I decided to recently resurrect a maroon plated squidder with the objective of distance casting. I performed all the usual maintenence, ultrasonically cleaned the bearings which seemed in good shape and lubed them with corrosion-x. The reel tolerances to frame are even. It is an aluminium spool. It turns smoothly and on a vintage 6115 Butterworth rod brought in a beautiful 80 yard cast first off.  I had the reel spooled halfway with new 17lb mono, laid level and evenly across the arbor. No leader, 4 ounces of lead to a long double. The left side bearing was screwed down to give a tiny bit of resistance " on a drop", but not so much as to stop overrun altogether once the lead hit the ground. Certainly no sideways play. The cast only required any real thumbing on splashdown.

OK. .so far....

In fact, great so far......I loosened the side bearing a little and put some power into the next cast . The result was a smooth cast until about the apex of the flight at which time the reel and lower end of of the rod developed an increasingly and severe standing wave oscillation ...very reminiscent of the Tacoma narrows bridge disaster and quite seriously, when holding onto the rod, just as remarkable. Even though it was a hundred plus yard cast it was a bit of a worry. Two successive equally distant casts resulted in the same thing even though I tweaked the bearing a little. I checked axle tolerances against the bearings and bearing mounts. All seem OK. We don't have much exposure to squidders down here and I was hoping someone has seen this problem and offer assistance. The reel, even though it acheives very nice distance is unusable as it is..It feels like it will will rattle itself to pieces....Any ideas?

6 hours ago, Southerner said:

Hello all,

My first posting after having lurked on this wonderful site for ages!...and of course it is a request for insight.

I have more modern distance casting reels which perform flawlessly and I am not new to the concepts involved, but I decided to recently resurrect a maroon plated squidder with the objective of distance casting. I performed all the usual maintenence, ultrasonically cleaned the bearings which seemed in good shape and lubed them with corrosion-x. The reel tolerances to frame are even. It is an aluminium spool. It turns smoothly and on a vintage 6115 Butterworth rod brought in a beautiful 80 yard cast first off.  I had the reel spooled halfway with new 17lb mono, laid level and evenly across the arbor. No leader, 4 ounces of lead to a long double. The left side bearing was screwed down to give a tiny bit of resistance " on a drop", but not so much as to stop overrun altogether once the lead hit the ground. Certainly no sideways play. The cast only required any real thumbing on splashdown.

OK. .so far....

In fact, great so far......I loosened the side bearing a little and put some power into the next cast . The result was a smooth cast until about the apex of the flight at which time the reel and lower end of of the rod developed an increasingly and severe standing wave oscillation ...very reminiscent of the Tacoma narrows bridge disaster and quite seriously, when holding onto the rod, just as remarkable. Even though it was a hundred plus yard cast it was a bit of a worry. Two successive equally distant casts resulted in the same thing even though I tweaked the bearing a little. I checked axle tolerances against the bearings and bearing mounts. All seem OK. We don't have much exposure to squidders down here and I was hoping someone has seen this problem and offer assistance. The reel, even though it acheives very nice distance is unusable as it is..It feels like it will will rattle itself to pieces....Any ideas?

While I know nothing of distance casting and have never experienced anything similar my first inclination is that the reel posts "twisted" during mid-cast. I used the Newell posts because of the twist I've seen in many vintage Penn Squidders. Good luck 

Mag it my friend, Not sure of "twists" in mid flight but the rattle I presume is slop in the bridge assembly which can easily be fixes with longer bridge sleeves or washers on drag assembly.. Also try bigger line for better cast control.

Squidders are awsome.

Thanks for your thoughts. It would be a pity to not use it to its potential.  I'm  (only) looking for a consistent and smooth 100yards for my application. My further feeling is that it develops this "runaway" situation when it loses load, unmasks a small inbalance likely on a vintage reel  and just by chance causes that particular rod to resonate in a very remarkable fashion. Obvious test next week. Magging it can't hurt to add load. But before I try even that, I'll change lube to something thicker. Thanks again for getting me thinking.

Something is causing the spool to be out of balance. Years ago I used to clip off the tie stud on the spool. Which helped a lot. Look for a dent in the spool or swap out spools and try that

Problem solved.

Changing rods made no difference.

Changing line to filll up the whole spool made significant improvement. and using a heavier oil (actually just added a drop of 15/ 40 synthetic motor oil to the bearings that already contained corrosion x so it's a bit of a "custom mix" ) helped.  All works as expected. No appreciable loss of distance. My guess is that it was spinning so well after fresh maintenence that a small line spoolling  mistake became problem . It looks like Big Dave was on the mark. The original spooling was  out and I didn't notice it...amplified by the fact that it wasn't fully spooled.

Thanks all for your input.