bobber

STAY TUNED!!! this is an important week

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, SandSpike1 said:

We had an issue in the bight this past year with whales eating the blues.

With that was an influx of porgies in the bay.

had to be a lot of whales 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The blue bite in the bay was very off. The porgies I haven't seen that good

in a long time. The bite at Georges bank was good. We had a good pick.

I've seen better. There's whales under the boat. ;)

Edited by SandSpike1

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

There are a lot of delayed mortality studies that have been conducted over the years.  They'll take fish that have been caught, mark them with tags so that they know where they were hooked, when they were caught, etc., and put them in net pens and hold them for a few days to see how many die.  If possible, they'll catch bass by other means, too, and put them in the same pens so that they can get a better idea of whether the mortality is caused by fishing or non-fishing factors.

The discards themselves come from the MRIP survey, with the surveyor asking anglers how many fish they let go.  It's probably a little soft, but the killed to released ratio tends to be pretty predictable over the years, with releases declining when fish are few and increasing when fish are plentiful.  The actual number has a confidence interval around it to reflect likely error; the hard figure that's published is just the point estimate within a wider range.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

The blue bite in the bay was very off. The porgies I haven't seen that good

in a long time. The bite at Georges bank was good. We had a good pick.

I've seen better. There's whales under the boat. ;)

The Blue bite in New Jersey, up in the Raritan Bay last year was sad to say the least. 

Edited by Lou T

On 2/7/2019 at 10:10 AM, CWitek said:

I think that the big issue is going to be the Chesapeake. 

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that's where a lot of the recreational discard mortality was taking place (there was a big piece on the coast, too, I'm sure, but not on the scale of all of the young fish being killed in the Bay).  And Maryland, in particular, will be very resistant to making any further cuts to its landings.

Remember that the Addendum IV cuts did what they were intended to do on the coast.  We still overfished, because no one realized how many fish anglers were really landing, but as far as anyone knew, coastal landings in 2015 and beyond were were cut by 25%--and more.  But landings were not cut at all in the Bay, and in fact increased substantially.  And there is also a lot of summer discard mortality there due to warm water, low oxygen and high air temperatures.  

I suspect that, among other things, this may turn out to be a coast vs. Bay fight, with Maryland fighting hard to keep the kill high and much of the coast supporting conservation, but wanting the Bay to do its share this time around.  There will also be the usual harvest vs conservation debate.

My gut tells me that on the coast, 32" will probably get the job done, without the need for a season.  I could be wrong, but that would amount to a big cut in landings.  The Bay will be trickier; they're 2 @ 20" there (19" with circle hooks in Maryland), so going to one fish is the first step, and then either size, season or both.

The other thing that we have to remember is that in 2017, anglers were responsible for 90% of all fishing mortality (42% in recreational landings, 48% in recreational discards), so folks pushing "gamefish" aren't going to have a leg to stand on.  We are going to be the focus of the change, and discards are going to be under the microscope.  So we need to start thinking along those lines.

In 2015 we had a 36-40” slot that had to be released (Maryland)

On 2/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, 27conch said:

Van Staal business was down 40% last year...40% !!  Want to know why??

Dozens for sale used in the BST?

Personally I think the bluefish stocks have collapsed due to the commercial harvesting of menhaden. It’s impossible for them to set their nets and not catch bluefish as bycatch. We all know bluefish are always within a short distance of menhaden schools. We also know how oily bluefish are. What makes you think Omega isn’t just crushing them down along with the menhaden? There’s no way they could safely release them. 

22 mins ago, GM26 said:

Personally I think the bluefish stocks have collapsed due to the commercial harvesting of menhaden. It’s impossible for them to set their nets and not catch bluefish as bycatch. We all know bluefish are always within a short distance of menhaden schools. We also know how oily bluefish are. What makes you think Omega isn’t just crushing them down along with the menhaden? There’s no way they could safely release them. 

The bluefish problem seems to be due to poor recruitment.  The last really successful spawn was in 2010.  That may finally be turning around--I haven't seen the recruitment numbers for the last couple of years--but they've been well below average for a while.  We'll get a stock assessment update in August that will tell us what's going on.

Many fishermen use poor catch and release techniques. If the fish never leaves the water, is able to be unhoooked easily, wasn’t fought till total exhaustion, wasn't’ gut hooked and was fully “resuscitated” before release, it still has a small chance of death after release. Add any one or more of these factors and it’s chance of  dying increases.  

The vertical hold photo op is probably the worst thing done in terms of fish survival. 

Take care of our cows!!

I believe a coast wide slot limit is the best course of action. Something akin to 26-32” for recreational fisherman. 

Edited by ANGCorsair

19 hours ago, Lou T said:

The Blue bite in New Jersey, up in the Raritan Bay last year was sad to say the least. 

4 hours ago, GM26 said:

Not for nothing but I personally saw loads of bunker schools off the NJ coast this past summer without a bluefish in sight. The guys I know who fish L.I. Sound said the same thing, so maybe what "we all know" isn't so? It's easy to release healthy fish from a seine net, its nothing like an otter trawl. Having said I have no idea of what Omega does with any bluefish by catch. But as Charles said, the lesser number of fish seems to be coming from poor recruitment, I doubt even Omega could have a big impact on the bluefish population.

MakoMike I can assure you that as seine boats begin to haul their load and vacuum up the menhaden they’re targeting, few if any predatory bycatch are released alive.  That’s why so many states have recently banned purse seining in state waters. The issue is once the menhaden get outside of three nautical miles into Federal waters Omega doesn’t have to follow the state regulations.