The Salty Fisherman

Did Anyone Catch Any Albies This Year?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

52 mins ago, jerseystriper said:

Easiest year ever for albies. Fun enough on a fly rod. 

That sounds like a blast. From boat or shore? I always wondered if people targeted them from shore on a fly rod. Seems like a whole lotta effort that would be very rewarding. 

1 hour ago, JuvenileTortoise said:

That sounds like a blast. From boat or shore? I always wondered if people targeted them from shore on a fly rod. Seems like a whole lotta effort that would be very rewarding. 

20181018_105511.jpg

20181019_124826.jpg

20181018_151147.jpg

7 hours ago, ferret said:

20181018_105511.jpg

20181019_124826.jpg

20181018_151147.jpg

That is cool! I gotta put more effort in this year with my fly rod... I'll also test the water for albies this year a bit more than I did last year. Thanks for the response!

They were everywhere up north. Best day was 18 landed, and I lost a bunch trying to horse them in. I wish I had more time to target them last year. I was stupid and used my pto to chase the Bass that weren't around for the second year in a row. Next season I chase Albies, catching dink Bass is boring.

As mentioned there was a lot of albie action in some well known spots in moco. You couldnt pay me enough for me to fish those areas though...a real sh*t show. I was out all over this fall but there were numerous times I didnt see any albie action. You really needed to be at the right place at the right time. So for those that weren't out a ton..dont feel bad or make an appt to the eye doctor...I can totally picture not running into anything.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, ChumSlickJon said:

Any of you catch those mackeral I saw flying out of the water a bunch of times?  Those things are fast and I'm getting older.  

I got a few spanish this year, first for me in NJ.  Alot of work for not alot of fight, you're not missing anything.

Also by far my best year for albies.  Normally they are here for 2 weeks but this year it was a solid month+  from surf and kayak.  If I catch 1 or 2 a year I am happy but this year I caught

14 from surf casting and 7 from trolling off the kayak up and down the Moco coast.  

I even ate one.  Friend of mine gave me a couple of tips and it was delicious raw.  

On 2/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, bbfish said:

I got a few spanish this year, first for me in NJ.  Alot of work for not alot of fight, you're not missing anything.

good eats, if that's your thing

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw a bunch from the beach's but never had them long enough to hook up. From the boat was different story, some of the best Albie days I'd ever had.

Edited by bentstick

On 2/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, ChumSlickJon said:

Any of you catch those mackeral I saw flying out of the water a bunch of times?  Those things are fast and I'm getting older.  

While snapper fishing, I hooked up with I thought were macks.... but were actually small bonita. They were about 12" or so. Great fun. 

4 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Not banded rudder fish?  I got those when fishing for snappers.  

Yes caught them also. What a nice day that was. Sunshine and no crowd.