The Salty Fisherman

Did Anyone Catch Any Albies This Year?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I roamed a lot of NJ beaches and jetties this summer all the way into winter.  I have just been thinking that I all year I did not see any albie action.  No surface feeding, and no albies taken by fisherman around me.  Did anyone else have any luck?  

There were albies from IBSP all the way to the northern most point for at least a solid month.  Not trying to be a dick, but maybe you need some glasses?  

12 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

There were albies from IBSP all the way to the northern most point for at least a solid month.  Not trying to be a dick, but maybe you need some glasses?  

Huh, maybe just wrong place wrong time.  There's always next year.  

I foul hooked an albie at Sandy hook sometime in october. It was probably odd that I caught it.

That day was a slow day for everyone. It was my second or third day of surf fishing. I didn't see anyone catch anything while I was there, but I caught a weakfish (I think) and an albie (foul hooked) pretty far out. Beginners luck I guess. 

13 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

/\ This. They were pretty consistent in Monmouth County.

I never chased them, just waited until they came into casting range.

He's not trying to be a dick. It just comes naturally :laugh:

Guess I need glasses too.  I never saw any.  I'm sure I am not out as much as most other guys unfortunately which doesn't help.  To much time stuck at work and home matters.  Ah well...so it goes. 

I didn’t see any this year either. I’ve never encountered them on the beach but generally see them chasing spearing near the rocks when I’m togging September through early October. I didn’t make it out once during the day this October though

Any of you catch those mackeral I saw flying out of the water a bunch of times?  Those things are fast and I'm getting older.  

I devoted more time to them this fall than I ever have before. All from my boat. I did maybe a dozen trips and not one skunking. Some trips were better than others. Usually depended on boat traffic. But the fish were always around. Time of day didn't even seem to matter much. Fumbling around with the fly rod a lot instead of using spin tackle definitely cut into the number caught lol, but the challenge was fun. 

This was an exceptionally good morning before work one day at a super secret spot.

10 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

Guess I need glasses too.  I never saw any.  I'm sure I am not out as much as most other guys unfortunately which doesn't help.  To much time stuck at work and home matters.  Ah well...so it goes. 

At least i'm not alone...

9 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Any of you catch those mackeral I saw flying out of the water a bunch of times?  Those things are fast and I'm getting older.  

Never seen any mackerel either.  Guess I really do need those glasses...