Quonnie

Snook in April

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Quonnie said:

I am wondering if there is any Snook fishing in the New Port Richey area in April? No Boat so I would be wading or beach fishing.

I did a lot of fishing in the NPR area , its all about water temps searching for Snook . 

Are you a bait guy / arties or never fished for them before ? 

Hook I Probably both I will be doing more Fly Fishing than anything else. I have not fished for snook there yet, but I will be down for the whole month of April and I have fished Howards Beach Honeymoon, the Causeway, Dunedin, I just thought they came into shore later in the year

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Hook I Probably both I will be doing more Fly Fishing than anything else. I have not fished for snook there yet, but I will be down for the whole month of April and I have fished Howards Beach Honeymoon, the Causeway, Dunedin, I just thought they came into shore later in the year

Like I said it's about water temps . The winter they are in rivers   Your listing spots are good & I have fished those areas , best beaches are Honeymoon for Snook . Snook don't migrate much , more like they are looking for rivers warmer temps & can go brackish . There is a guide Mike Anderson WFLA radio Saturday am 6am -8am great show try to tune in =   I do 

Think Alacote River , Lake Tarpon if not on the beaches   

Edited by Hook I

3 mins ago, Quonnie said:

So if you fish Tarpon Lake do fish it from John Chestnut Park or Anderson Park?

Well your not in TL its the waters running to from the bay , Also you  have waters of Anclote river inland which are warm .

sure NP   spent about 12 years up that way visiting the out -laws  , I got around pretty good  , I'll give you a suggestion if you have the time ? 

I agree it all about water temp... but seeing that you will be here in April heck you should be good to go on the beach or inside ....they will be starting to move getting ready to spawn, that's why the season closes in May.... and since you are here the whole month of April... remember to fish the tides in other words "Moving water"  depending on the areas sometime they hit best on incoming or outgoing...keep a log of the tides that you fish/lures and times you are out there...also go to the local baitshops and look for a place that works with flyfishermen .... Tell them you are here for a month and listen to the infor you get oh also make sure to buy something... nothing beats local knowledge and above have fun don't overthink it... Snook fishing has driven many fishermen Crazy :banghd: they can be pretty picky at times... if all else fails try freelining live bait yea i know you want to fly fish but sometimes you have to go with the flow... good luck

I remember a few years back maybe 2016 ? early to mid April It was cooler & some Snook were back more in the canal and flats with a lot of Mackerel on the beaches . Something to think about = metal fast retrieving worked well . 

The cause way leading to Honeymoon has alot of moving water which is always good. Under those over passes are good . Trout @has  Fred Howard has nice shelter if wind is up . 

A lot of options in that area and it brings back memories when I 1st tossed a popping cork w/ DOA shrimp . 

Limited experience with beach snook, but the little luck I have had, has been during periods of low-light.  You can see a million on the beach during the day, but they are extremely picky and shy.  Heading down the end of March myself to Bonita Springs area, hope to find a few then.  Live bait rules I found out quickly, and everything will eat a live shrimp.

LOL livebait IMO does rule, but i have gone to lures lately just to change things back... what i have notice if you are in the right area at the right time the lures will work, but if they are picky (99% or the time):banghd: shrimp do a good job if you can get your hands on Jumbo even better...but the thing about shrimp is "Everything" hit them, and the best way to fish them is to Freeline them with nothing... do a line to line knot (Mono leader to mainline) and leave the sinker and those store bought leaders at home...Now remember what i said Everything hit shrimp.. and you might end up going thru them pretty quit and just catching trash fish....Here what i would do if i was going to do the livebait route> 5 gallon bucket/air pump... and if you don't have a cast net... bring a small rod/reel setup.. buy a bag of shrimp..go to any boat ramp/bridge/dock any where that might hold pinfish or anything else that you can use as bait....Google Fla Baitfish that way you will know what to look for...this way you will catch your own bait and don't worry if they are large..I use really large bait when i'm fishing for snook.... oh and if you don't want to do that most bait shop sell pinfish or whatever else they might have on hand...

The reason i would go with Baitfish over shrimp... whatever hits that baitfish is going to be nice... and if a large snook hits it... hang on and enjoy it...

Drako I will be heading down in a couple of days how has the fishing been and what are the water temps like? I will be bringing both Fly and Spin gear.

Water temps were mentioned in several posts.  As of right now (3/27) water temps on the gulf coast are below average.  They have been in the 65-69 degree range.  That could change in a blink but right now I wouldn't recommend fishing the gulf beaches for snook.  I would concentrate on rivers, creeks etc...  Again that could change quickly with a week of 80 degree temps but the air temp in Pinellas county right now is 61.  That's crazy cool for late March.