jhillman17

Key Largo/Upper Keys Shore Fishing

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Going Mid-april for a work conference, so fishing will pretty much be limited to mornings and maybe evenings for an hour or two.  Gonna bring a MH spinning and Heavy casting travel rod to fish with.  Are there any public areas that one would recommend fishing from shore in that area?  The hotel has a pier on the bayside, but would like to try to catch a bone fish if possible.  Any ocean side flats that are accessible and worth wading in that area?

Any tips in general you would recommend?  Never fished the keys, from what i've read try the bridges with swimbaits and bucktail jigs at night, and small jigs with grubs/shrimp on the flats for bones in the morning... looks like tides will be good for morning incoming.

Feel free to PM if preferred, just looking for some advice to help ease the learning curve.  i wish i had time for a guide, but truly not sure how much time and when i'll have available until I get down there.

A couple dozen shrimp and some small jig heads will do you well

find any bridge that you can get under and cast into the current

and when you pickup the shrimp at the bait shop ask for spots, I’ve found them very.

small poppers are good for sea trout and other similar fish

also paddle tails are great for snook around bridge abutments 

24 mins ago, jhillman17 said:

thanks for the tips... do you know of any fairly easy public access to flats around key largo?  

There is a state park in/around Key Largo... John Pennekamp.  I'd start with researching that.  I haven't been down there in more than 20 years, so that's about all I can provide.

i will search for bait store in that area now.get there phone and email and ask them what is aviable that time you will be there and where to fish.

I'll check out the state park on google maps... i plan on stopping by a bait shop and chat with them.  I was just looking for some ideas I can check out on google maps and try to maximize my limited time.  Appreciate the help and ideas so far!

1 hour ago, jhillman17 said:

thanks for the tips... do you know of any fairly easy public access to flats around key largo?  

I tried a few flats that were accessible but had better luck around the bridges

2 hours ago, bkupmstr said:

I tried a few flats that were accessible but had better luck around the bridges

Seems like there is always something willing to bite around the bridge embankments.  

On 2/1/2019 at 2:57 PM, jhillman17 said:

I'll check out the state park on google maps... i plan on stopping by a bait shop and chat with them.  I was just looking for some ideas I can check out on google maps and try to maximize my limited time.  Appreciate the help and ideas so far!

I was at John Pennekamp park a couple weeks ago. I didn’t see many areas that allowed fishing. There are a couple of small swimming beaches and a marina area that all had no fishing signs. You can rent kayaks and boats there that could get you out to fishable areas. There were a lot of small barracuda swimming around the beach areas.  

A few weeks ago I was in Islamorada. I found out quickly how effective live shrimp works compared to artificials. Spent one day and night without bait and caught nothing. Had many strikes with them. Picked up live shrimp and immediately started to catch ton of snappers and a few jacks under some bridges. If you go to Pennecamp SP rent a kayak there and fish the mangroves. It was so windy when I was there I never got a chance to do that. Great time,can’t wait to return for some tarpon fishing. I like the fishing better the closer I got to Key West. Drive carefully!

Thanks for the tips...depending on my free time...I’m gonna try to hit some of the bridges further south as they look like they should hold more fish just based upon size/depth.  

Was really hoping to hook a bonefish on a flat, but it appears that finding any decent flats that have public access are hard to find.  Wish I had more time to even rent a kayak and paddle to a flat.  I guess I’ll have to just see what my schedule allows.