Fly By Nite

ice fishing how-to

41 posts in this topic

37 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

I bought a generic spring insert but the tips of that Mojo is too small. Was going to try to trim the foam on the spring. Thanks for the reminder. :idea:

Depends on types of spring bobber you have. Tie on a guide + grommet for the st croix spring. Or take the tip off for lavsan type bobber.  If it's too thin, just wrap a couple layer of fly tying thread. The ultimate shallow water fishing for me is the marmish palm rod on the left.. 

20190205_134402-1024x1365.jpg.e48737427cf46624150c3083caadb42d.jpg

3 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

that is mitchelNj   and red, Mitchel just bought that rod and jig kit for the trip we crushed em for a while. I was busy celebrating my wall eye. 

Thats red in camo? LOL I was wondering why someone would wear chaps to ice fish. :laugh:

42 mins ago, hobobob said:

Depends on types of spring bobber you have. Tie on a guide + grommet for the st croix spring. Or take the tip off for lavsan type bobber.  If it's too thin, just wrap a couple layer of fly tying thread. The ultimate shallow water fishing for me is the marmish palm rod on the left.. 

20190205_134402-1024x1365.jpg.e48737427cf46624150c3083caadb42d.jpg

I really want to do something like the one on the right. These are junky things where the line runs through the spring. I'll probably toss them and do it right.

The st croix design its not without flaws.  No1 problem is too much protrusion on top of the rod.  Too many places to snag your line, pretty much a guarantee to tangle your line after you landed your fish. That's why I tie down the end of spring bobber to streamline the whole setup.  St.croix also caught on that many people are using their bobber on home made rods and charging a premium for it. Originally the price was like $6-7.   If you want to go this way, pm me your address I'll mail you a few robber grommets, you just need to find a cheap rod guide to put it on.

19 hours ago, gobigblue said:

some good tips here, but a 5' UL rod?  

nelson.png

yes. i don't have time for 2' rods because i almost never sit and jig , i am walking and moving a lot. the 5' ul allows me some versatility in jig size ( i also like pimples and other jig spoons) so i only have to carry one rig with me when bouncing from hole to hole. 

I like to jig the pimple or spoon first in a hole then go down in size and then back to spoon before i walk to the next hole or drill a new one. especially if i am moving a tip up that has been sitting there with a  half dead bait for awhile. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

don't trust random dudes on the ice and don't let them follow you bak to your truck. Cause your friends they won't help.

20170211_163735(0).jpg

Edited by crazybellringer

On 2/2/2019 at 4:47 PM, Buckscorider said:

I watched a video of a guy ice fishing, catching trout on power bait. 

Works for me in the spring, anybody ever try it through the ice?

My buddy has done well fishing power bait through the ice. We used the trout we caught to live line for musky.