Fly By Nite

ice fishing how-to

44 posts in this topic

Hi. transplant from the north ice fished a long time for panfish. Two ways to approach it cooler beer bobber drill two holes hang out and hope. Second option is 4 lb mono xl solar or other bright line and a clear leader. Start inches below the ice work your way down 4 foot at a time. They make spring bite indicators that bend when you get a bite. I prefer to keep the bait moving at all times with out a bite indicator and watch for any movement in the line. Drill and move every 10 to 15 minutes.Small spoons tipped with wax worms,maggots. Hope this helps 

Yup! I use power bait all the time in the winter for trout. Works the same way as spring/summer fishing.I keep it anywhere from a foot and a half to two feet off the bottom.Chartruse always seems the best for me

if you are fishing a body of water that you know well from a boat and can find contour features while standing on the ice then you really do not need a bottom machine imo.

Although i own plenty of tip ups and do set them i prefer to jig with a 5' UL. 

I like to drill lots of holes and i like to move around. it helps keep me warm and engaged. 

this is what you will need if you want to fish like me;

sled

auger (i use hand auger and have no problem drilling 20 holes in a day (depending on thickness of course)

ice scooper

ice picks for safety, wear them around your neck. 

1/2oz lead attached to a alligator clip

bait for tip ups

jigs

wax worms or mousies for jigs (i have used tiny pieces of redworms and they work ok) I also like power bait honey worms. 

i think thats the basics for the fishing part. 

It can get pretty boring if you are solo and the fishing is slow, it's another reason why i don't mind drilling lots of holes. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

fancy outfit so you can impress the guys.   

learn how to play wack  em and stacked like this lazy mother trucker

20180210_141336.jpg

20180210_135832.jpg

Edited by crazybellringer

18 hours ago, hobobob said:

Who is that in the chair. He know stuff. Only thing I would add is a spring bobber.

that is mitchelNj   and red, Mitchel just bought that rod and jig kit for the trip we crushed em for a while. I was busy celebrating my wall eye. 

20 hours ago, hobobob said:

Who is that in the chair. He know stuff. Only thing I would add is a spring bobber.

I bought a generic spring insert but the tips of that Mojo is too small. Was going to try to trim the foam on the spring. Thanks for the reminder. :idea:

2 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

that is mitchelNj   and red, Mitchel just bought that rod and jig kit for the trip we crushed em for a while. I was busy celebrating my wall eye. 

Tip up fish don't count :dismay:

Especially one someone else baited :stick:

On 2/4/2019 at 7:49 AM, BrianZ said:

if you are fishing a body of water that you know well from a boat and can find contour features while standing on the ice then you really do not need a bottom machine imo.

Although i own plenty of tip ups and do set them i prefer to jig with a 5' UL. 

I like to drill lots of holes and i like to move around. it helps keep me warm and engaged. 

this is what you will need if you want to fish like me;

sled

auger (i use hand auger and have no problem drilling 20 holes in a day (depending on thickness of course)

ice scooper

ice picks for safety, wear them around your neck. 

1/2oz lead attached to a alligator clip

bait for tip ups

jigs

wax worms or mousies for jigs (i have used tiny pieces of redworms and they work ok) I also like power bait honey worms. 

i think thats the basics for the fishing part. 

It can get pretty boring if you are solo and the fishing is slow, it's another reason why i don't mind drilling lots of holes. 

some good tips here, but a 5' UL rod?  

nelson.png