Fly By Nite

ice fishing how-to

44 posts in this topic

Hi. transplant from the north ice fished a long time for panfish. Two ways to approach it cooler beer bobber drill two holes hang out and hope. Second option is 4 lb mono xl solar or other bright line and a clear leader. Start inches below the ice work your way down 4 foot at a time. They make spring bite indicators that bend when you get a bite. I prefer to keep the bait moving at all times with out a bite indicator and watch for any movement in the line. Drill and move every 10 to 15 minutes.Small spoons tipped with wax worms,maggots. Hope this helps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup! I use power bait all the time in the winter for trout. Works the same way as spring/summer fishing.I keep it anywhere from a foot and a half to two feet off the bottom.Chartruse always seems the best for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you are fishing a body of water that you know well from a boat and can find contour features while standing on the ice then you really do not need a bottom machine imo.

Although i own plenty of tip ups and do set them i prefer to jig with a 5' UL. 

I like to drill lots of holes and i like to move around. it helps keep me warm and engaged. 

this is what you will need if you want to fish like me;

sled

auger (i use hand auger and have no problem drilling 20 holes in a day (depending on thickness of course)

ice scooper

ice picks for safety, wear them around your neck. 

1/2oz lead attached to a alligator clip

bait for tip ups

jigs

wax worms or mousies for jigs (i have used tiny pieces of redworms and they work ok) I also like power bait honey worms. 

 

i think thats the basics for the fishing part. 

It can get pretty boring if you are solo and the fishing is slow, it's another reason why i don't mind drilling lots of holes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

 

 

fancy outfit so you can impress the guys.   

 

learn how to play wack  em and stacked like this lazy mother trucker

 

20180210_141336.jpg

20180210_135832.jpg

Edited by crazybellringer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hobobob said:

Who is that in the chair. He know stuff. Only thing I would add is a spring bobber.

that is mitchelNj   and red, Mitchel just bought that rod and jig kit for the trip we crushed em for a while. I was busy celebrating my wall eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hobobob said:

Who is that in the chair. He know stuff. Only thing I would add is a spring bobber.

I bought a generic spring insert but the tips of that Mojo is too small. Was going to try to trim the foam on the spring. Thanks for the reminder. :idea:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

that is mitchelNj   and red, Mitchel just bought that rod and jig kit for the trip we crushed em for a while. I was busy celebrating my wall eye. 

Tip up fish don't count :dismay:

 

 

 

Especially one someone else baited :stick:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 7:49 AM, BrianZ said:

if you are fishing a body of water that you know well from a boat and can find contour features while standing on the ice then you really do not need a bottom machine imo.

Although i own plenty of tip ups and do set them i prefer to jig with a 5' UL. 

I like to drill lots of holes and i like to move around. it helps keep me warm and engaged. 

this is what you will need if you want to fish like me;

sled

auger (i use hand auger and have no problem drilling 20 holes in a day (depending on thickness of course)

ice scooper

ice picks for safety, wear them around your neck. 

1/2oz lead attached to a alligator clip

bait for tip ups

jigs

wax worms or mousies for jigs (i have used tiny pieces of redworms and they work ok) I also like power bait honey worms. 

 

i think thats the basics for the fishing part. 

It can get pretty boring if you are solo and the fishing is slow, it's another reason why i don't mind drilling lots of holes. 

some good tips here, but a 5' UL rod?  

 

 

 

 

nelson.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.