Fly By Nite

ice fishing how-to

41 posts in this topic

First time, I would go with a group or a good friend. You probably don't need anything and have a good time.  Just dress warm from head to toe and have some kind of traction aid for your shoe like korkers, spikes, screws, etc so you don't fall on your a$$.  When you get in to it, there is all sort of expensive S*** you can buy.  Near top of that list is a flasher or fish finder.  You can sit on a hole all day with a drink in hand like bellringer or hole hopping with your flasher to find active feeding fish.  

3 hours ago, fishless said:

Note the reach and grab in the cooler in the background.  The cooler is just a vessel to transport the all too important beverages. 

You'll fit right in with the crowd.  Добро пожаловать товарищ . Just watch out for bareback bear hugs if temp reached upper 30s. lol

First time I ice fished.... we caught a 8 lb largemouth that would not fit through the 4” hole .... on a tip up with Dacron line and a shiner.... that bass had a 8” perch halfway down its throat and still ate that shiner. We had to let line out and chip  the hole bigger. Way before cell phones and digital cameras.... wish I still had the pictures from twin lakes. 

I watched a video of a guy ice fishing, catching trout on power bait. 

Works for me in the spring, anybody ever try it through the ice?