Alexey

Scent of al-Lure

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Alexey said:

How do you scent your lures to make them irresistible?

I use either smelly Jelly or Bio-Edge. i use the thick stuff to smear on hard beaits and the liquid stuff for soft baits.

3 hours ago, Seadogg said:

C60B3F8D-39C7-4551-A2C3-D9B3431C14E7.jpeg

That looks like "real pizza"

I have used mikes lunker lotion(menhaden) in the past but this season I ran out early in the year and couldn't find any locally. Could have ordered online but just too lazy. So laziness turned into an experiment. Caught just as many bass throughout season if not more without scent. As a bonus my lures are not sticky and stinky in the plug bag/tackle boxes.

I have to agree with Chris.  I used to be a big proponent of scent on my soft plastics.  Then one day, I was fishing for flounder and I ran out of gulp.  The only other soft plastic that I had wad a 5” keitech.  (These were the scentless ones).  I began to catch endless flounder on a lure that I otherwise would have never tried.  In my eyes, the fish mainly hit lures because of an reaction strike.  They see the lure and they think it is a real source of food/ view it as a threat to themselves and they hit it compulsively.  

14 hours ago, Alexey said:

How do you scent your lures to make them irresistible?

I don’t use any scents but I did experiment about ten years ago. I was fishing a bridge with a friend using small jugs with finesse fish. Without telling him I bought a jar of smelly jelly and put it on my jig.

After about two hours I outfished him about six to one.

S0 imo it works but I don’t want to bother with the mess.

Years ago I use to use a small piece of chicken dipped in Peeler oil for sea trout. It worked. I might try it again this year if there are trout around.

7 hours ago, Alexey said:

For those that do use scents, how do you wipe/wash it off prior to putting it in the bag?

It's part of the game.  

I use pro cure squid scent which is a ringer for the keitech scent.

the smell isn't bad but the slimy residue that gets on your hands when you're not on the water and in organization mode is kind of a drawback.

23 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

I have to agree with Chris.  I used to be a big proponent of scent on my soft plastics.  Then one day, I was fishing for flounder and I ran out of gulp.  The only other soft plastic that I had wad a 5” keitech.  (These were the scentless ones).  I began to catch endless flounder on a lure that I otherwise would have never tried.  In my eyes, the fish mainly hit lures because of an reaction strike.  They see the lure and they think it is a real source of food/ view it as a threat to themselves and they hit it compulsively.  

well said:)