mikez2

More eye tests

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

It is a juvie Blandings, not the best pic to show the difference ... Mike almost stepped on it ... 

Never heard of a Blandings turtle, are there nicknames for it? Gonna need to google it...and I thought I'd seen every kind turtle in the north east :o  

TimS

I feel a little better about never having seen one of these guys - they don't live anywhere near NJ :)  Good looking turtles, the little guy in the picture looks a lot like a painted turtle or young slider - but the adults are handsome dudes :th:

blandings-range.jpg

On 2/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, TimS said:

Never heard of a Blandings turtle, are there nicknames for it? Gonna need to google it...and I thought I'd seen every kind turtle in the north east :o  

TimS

They're a big turtle. Most similar to a box turtle but bigger and more aquatic. They do have a partially hinged shell which they close like a box turtle. 

The adults have great long necks with bright yellow throats. Those yellow throats are what you seach for with the binos.

They have very limited range in Ma and NH, bigger populations in the Midwest. 

Most people here never see them even where found because they are so wary and difficult to approach. 

Although some are getting tame near a certain trail I know....

3252_1084235879702_7787817_n.jpg

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

They're a big turtle. Most similar to a box turtle but bigger and more aquatic. They do have a partially hinged shell which they close like a box turtle. 

The adults have great long necks with bright yellow throats. Those yellow throats are what you seach for with the binos.

They have very limited range in Ma and NH, bigger populations in the Midwest. 

Most people here never see them even where found because they are so wary and difficult to approach. 

Although some are getting tame near a certain trail I know....

3252_1084235879702_7787817_n.jpg

Thanks Mike, that’s a good looking turtle - never heard of them prior to this thread :th: