mikez2

More eye tests

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, b-ware said:

Without getting into another discussion of rattle snakes I must ask you about the rock formations that these snakes are hiding in, they certainly don't appear to be natural (the rocks)

Either you have a very good eye or you already suspect the location. :howdy:

You are exactly correct. Those boulders were disturbed and redistributed by man. The snake population is natural and historical, but that den is centered around those disturbed boulders.

If I explain any better, I will Out the site. Trust me, striper guys may hate spot burning but Ct rattlesnakes are guarded vigorously by the law, up to and including scanning social media. 

11 hours ago, z-man said:

What part of CT was this in?  My mother claims to have seen one in their basement in the Northeast corner of the state.  We figured it was a water snake but maybe not???

Central Ct is the heart of the rattlesnake population. There is also a population in the NW corner.

None left in NE Ct.

Rattlesnakes don't typically enter cellars anyway.

Much more common in cellars is eastern milk snake which can look rattlerish.

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Much more common in cellars is eastern milk snake which can look rattlerish.

Not just that, they'll vibrate their tail rapidly in dry leaves to sound like a rattlesnake...scared the crap out of me the first time it happened :laugh:  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm no expert, and only know what I read or am told. The only place in Ma that I personally know of that has a decent rattlesnake population is Mt Washington State Forest, focusing on the area leading up to Mt Alander. Ive only been there deer hunting, so there was no chance of seeing a snake. However as you made your way up the trail leading to the top of Alander, the rock outcroppings and ledge increased dramatically. Much of it unwalkable as it was engulfed in impenetrable mountain laurel. 

I was pretty good friends with the park ranger there. He told me there were several known dens that biologists kept tabs on, but their location was a well kept secret. Hanging on the wall directly over his desk was a 4' mounted rattlesnake hide. Some well meaning hiker clubbed it to death after he saw it sunning itself off the trail leading to Alander and proudly carried it out of the woods. :(

Edited by bob_G

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm no expert, and only know what I read or am told. The only place in Ma that I personally know of that has a decent rattlesnake population is Mt Washington State Forest, focusing on the area leading up to Mt Alander. Ive only been there deer hunting, so there was no chance of seeing a snake. However as you made your way up the trail leading to the top of Alander, the rock outcroppings and ledge increased dramatically. Much of it unwalkable as it was engulfed in impenetrable mountain laurel. 

I was pretty good friends with the park ranger there. He told me there were several known dens that biologists kept tabs on, but their location was a well kept secret. Hanging on the wall directly over his desk was a 4' mounted rattlesnake hide. Some well meaning hiker clubbed it to death after he saw it sunning itself off the trail leading to Alander and proudly carried it out of the woods. :(

Ahh, yup, that's pretty much a reptile spot burn.

If l was admitting you were right.

Which I'm not. :shaky:

Seriously, not huge secret. They turn up in local newspapers all the time.

Oh, and maybe on Jeff Corwins ocean friggin adventures. :banghd:

40 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Ahh, yup, that's pretty much a reptile spot burn.

If l was admitting you were right.

Which I'm not. :shaky:

Seriously, not huge secret. They turn up in local newspapers all the time.

Oh, and maybe on Jeff Corwins ocean friggin adventures. :banghd:

It's certainly no secret If you were to go into the ranger's station at Mt Washington,  you'd realize really quick they make to effort to hide the fact that rattlesnakes are there. Besides the one hanging on the wall,  they have a wall covered with posters warning people about the snakes and what to look out for.

That said, the area in question is about as inhospitable as you can imagine.  The ledge and rocks are very steep, and the mountain laurel is so thick a deer couldn't make it. 

Edited by bob_G

Many of the trails to get to the top are over all sorts of difficult terrain Tuckermans Ravine being one of the most challenging . Never saw a moving thing in another time climbing in July one year . Great at the bottom , but a full blizzard near the top . We had a bunch of young scouts and leaders and nary a moving thing except the snow and rain . 

2 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Hey Mike ... how come you never spot 'em when you're with me???

Hey! 

I believe I spotted these with you.

The little Blandings turtle should buy me some cred, no?:howdy:

1936962_1168758272709_569675_n.jpg

3252_1084235799700_1778788_n.jpg

2 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Hey Mike ... how come you never spot 'em when you're with me???

I know, I know. 

You just want to rub it in for the time I walked right by that beautiful big rat snake and a total rookie spotted it.:cool:

I redeemed myself by finding the same snake in the same spot 2 years later. She likes that old fridge.

1978342_10202644098497220_7036661835598646411_o.jpg

20190204_153714.jpg

10257262_10202644129497995_5739935449543497586_o.jpg

13221409_10207949833777286_1646310710476755479_o.jpg

On 2/1/2019 at 0:43 PM, bob_G said:

We have Rattlers and Copperheads in Eastern MA also. And man, they love that broken rock. 

Hikers ought be careful in April as things warm up. They love to lie on the edge of paths. Going in and out of the Sun/bushes, to regulate body temp.

Nice pics all around.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:41 PM, mikez2 said:

Hey! 

I believe I spotted these with you.

The little Blandings turtle should buy me some cred, no?:howdy:

3252_1084235799700_1778788_n.jpg

That looks like what we called a "painted turtle" around here...never knew their official name :)

TimS

1 hour ago, TimS said:

That looks like what we called a "painted turtle" around here...never knew their official name :)

TimS

It is a juvie Blandings, not the best pic to show the difference ... Mike almost stepped on it ... 

On 2/4/2019 at 3:52 PM, mikez2 said:

I know, I know. 

You just want to rub it in for the time I walked right by that beautiful big rat snake and a total rookie spotted it.:cool:

I redeemed myself by finding the same snake in the same spot 2 years later. She likes that old fridge.

1978342_10202644098497220_7036661835598646411_o.jpg

20190204_153714.jpg

10257262_10202644129497995_5739935449543497586_o.jpg

13221409_10207949833777286_1646310710476755479_o.jpg

She be a regular ... I think I saw her or a relative back in 2010

Edited by jeffreyrichard