JimJ

Brevard County options

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have been visiting family in Melbourne for many years and usually find decent surf fishing whenever I am here for a variety of fish, usually pompano whiting bluefish jacks etc.  The last 2 weeks of north winds and heavy surf have made the beach pretty unfishable with about 50-70 yards of flat beach with 2-3 feet of water in front of the trough at low tide.  In early January the bluefish and whiting bite was pretty good.  I expect that it will take a couple weeks of normal conditions to straighten it out.  I am looking for other options for land based fishing.  Is there any worthwhile fishing along the causeways crossing the Indian  River.  I was thinking of throwing small plugs and jigs if it is worthwhile this time of year.  Latey I don’t see hardly anyone fishing there though.  Any other options?

Hi Jim,  I don't fish there myself but you may want to take a drive to Sebastian Inlet, not too far from Melbourne. I've been fishing south of there in the intercoastal, water in the river has been in the 60's where I am, and it seems to have slowed the bite, but it's worth a try. I think south of Sebastian there is also some roadside access to the intercoastal that you could check out as well.  

Thanks for the reply. If the beach my way isn’t fishable Monday I’ll take a drive south and check out the lagoon south of Sebastian.  Maybe beach further south will be in better shape too. Is best access to lagoon off A1A on the beach side or off the inland side of the lagoon?  In a year or so when I move down here I’ll get a boat and have limitless options.  Lol

With the grass dying off in the IRL, and having been born and raised here, I believe I would look further south. It will be years before this area cleans up its act and stops letting nutrients overload the river and ruin it. 

There are lots of access points to the lagoon of A1A, and fishing is decent enough. I’ve been taking my kayak out a fair amount as the ocean is, well, not brilliant! The last few weeks it has been small blues, and the occasional mackerel. Much smaller blues than usual.

I believe the resident population of blues were devistated by the red tide of a few months ago. These are all babies. The good news is they are ubiquitous. Not sure what impact the red tide had on other migratory species. 

There are more flat fish than you think in the river.

Saw a doormat caught off a local dock to the South of you.

Small jig head and pick a rootbeer body  and go for it.

You may also find some trout.

Good Luck from Cocoa.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:56 PM, JimJ said:

Thanks for the reply. If the beach my way isn’t fishable Monday I’ll take a drive south and check out the lagoon south of Sebastian.  Maybe beach further south will be in better shape too. Is best access to lagoon off A1A on the beach side or off the inland side of the lagoon?  In a year or so when I move down here I’ll get a boat and have limitless options.  Lol

I will say it was 23" and caught land side across from Sebastian Inlet 

I caught some big trout in the lagoon yesterday - little ones in the early afternoon, bigger, two were 20” in the late afternoon. This was kayaking close to Pelican Isalnd off the Jungle trail. Caught a surprise flounder on a doa shirimp a few days ago at the Inlet off the bank. If you’re into bass felsmere reservoir at the stick marsh is, apparently,  good.

Thanks for suggestions.  The beaches have recovered and the whiting and small bluefish bite has been good this week. Also caught 2 toothy stout sharks about 30”  (baby spinners? Resembled brown sharks I catch up north) on mullet.  As long as I am catching fish I am happy.  I throw tins in the early morning and move to bait for a couple hours for the table.  I’ll probably stick to the beach as long as it’s fishable.  I’m addicted to surf fishing down here as the surf fishing in South Jersey where I spend summers has been terrible for the past 8 years or so.  In early January before the cold snap there was a mix of 16-18” fork length blues mixed in with the 10-12” that are all over the beach now.  Maybe the colder water chased the bigger ones south?

I believe the brief red tide we had in the mullet run killed the resident bluefish population. These little ones are babies. Bait & wait guys are catching sizeable whiting and pompano here

7 hours ago, icarussound said:

I believe the brief red tide we had in the mullet run killed the resident bluefish population. These little ones are babies. Bait & wait guys are catching sizeable whiting and pompano here

I was getting several bigger blues each trip to the beach in early January before the cold snap. I think maybe the colder water chased them?  Last week I have been getting some of the biggest whiting I have ever caught with several 14-15” fileting size.  Surf has been loaded with 10-12” blues and a few small Spanish. Like you say no bigger ones.  Haven’t caught or seen any pompano bigger than barely legal.  Looks like another week of rough surf this week.  

Colder water actually brings in the bigger one into the inlet... the real big ones stay offshore and even those dont reach the size that we caught up in NY/Conn ....But big blues are a hit or miss with shore fishing down here... oh what do you call big? 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, icarussound said:

Did you see dead bluefish? I didn't see any bluefish at all around inlet or beaches, just tons of mullet and reef fish primarily. Blues are migratory, and run following redtide this year was very good. Alot around now, just 10" mainly

Didn’t see dead blues. I did see some mackerel, at least a couple of snook, other unidentifiable predator fish  mixed in with the mullet. I spent one morning with a pail and gloves hauling tons of dead fish in the middle of it.

its just speculation, that the migrating fish following the mullet had no option but to get trough the red tide in the middle of the run was heartbreaking