NaturalScience

2019 Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

Oh, when you first said bulb I thought you meant at the top. I don;t think you have any worries. Different varieties can range from uniformly slender and long, to fat and short, to some bulbous. In addition, to variety, the method of hilling and blanching can lead to different results.

17 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Oh, when you first said bulb I thought you meant at the top. I don;t think you have any worries. Different varieties can range from uniformly slender and long, to fat and short, to some bulbous. In addition, to variety, the method of hilling and blanching can lead to different results.

Thanks, I haven't noticed any issues with taste or texture. I was reading something about not letting them start to bulb and was worried I left them in too long which was contrary to what I thought. 

I'm planning on a large batch of potato leek soup for the scanner this week so I'll probably pull most anyway. 

On a side not I sampled a bit of the raw green, not too far off the stalk and holy cow it was spicy and oniony. 

Yeah i love the onion family.  Its a staple in just about all meals, dinner anyway.

Got the soup done. 6 qts pressure canned ready for the cellar and 2 qts for the fridge. Still have quite a few leeks in the ground. Plenty of meals still out there.

Harvested over 100 onions and I thought I was crazy for planting so many but I'm going through them. Leeks too, 60 or so planted but they go pretty quick once you start using them. I was gonna scale it back next year but I've reconsidered and I think I'll keep it as is. 

15 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Have some garlic seeds I’m looking to plant, should I wait a while still seeing daytime temps over 60deg in NY

I would wait until at least the first-second week of November unless there is substantial snow forecast before then, which I doubt.

So, any late season updates/pictures/what your are still picking?

Reason I ask is that awhile back I mentioned that when the season was more or less done, I had a surprise I was gonna do. Let me put it this way, I am thinking Thanksgiving as the last hurrah, so if you have anything to add before then, have at it.........

Prepped the garlic bed area 2!weeks ago but just planted today fertilized with manure, garden tone etc..  and some home compost, noticed a bunch of sprouts from 2 weeks ago I’m assuming it’s garlic?

CD1483E1-46AA-4F5F-BAF4-5CFF8F8FD858.jpeg

181A4957-975D-4959-BE48-695F4E0D6111.jpeg

Edited by Sandflee

Yup, garlic.  I didn’t dig any but top looks a lot like the bulbils I planted and left in the ground.  Usually they make a big round clove or small bulbs in the first year.  That looks like a clove. You may have missed some when you dug it?  

Yes, if it is the same bed as last year, you almost always miss a few cloves that either didn't mature from last years planting, or broke off when you harvested in the summer, and they will sprout. I use them as "Fresh Spring Garlic" green part and all ,when I find any.

I didn't get a picture, but picked another half pound of asst. peppers (jalapeno, scotch bonnets, habanero) on Wednesday. Gave them to my nephew the chef for his personal stash for wings and chili and such. 

I pulled the jalapeno plant, and the habanero. The scotch bonnett has another full crop before I pull it in two weeks. Same as last three years.

My snow pea plants are still doing good. We'll see how cold they could stand in a few days.  I left out some canton bok choy, lettuces, water crest and broad leaf mustard greens out there to see how they bad they could take the punishment. All them are in hydroponic solutions ( water ) so it has no protection from soil or mulch. :scared: