NaturalScience

2019 Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

The calcium won't help the fruit that already has the end rot but will help to prevent other fruit on that plant from getting it. Uneven watering is also a cause, but with rain, that is hard to control.  Also, you have to watch the magnesium content of any fertilizer you use, since while vegetables do need Mg, too much prevents the uptake of the calcium.

As to the brine and the cucumbers, you are more or less making barrel pickles. They can be kept at room temp with a little care, or left in jars in the fridge with almost no carefor extended periods of time.

Thanks,

I'll try looking up barrel pickles for more details.

Gotta ask the right questions! 

16 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

The calcium won't help the fruit that already has the end rot but will help to prevent other fruit on that plant from getting it. Uneven watering is also a cause, but with rain, that is hard to control.  Also, you have to watch the magnesium content of any fertilizer you use, since while vegetables do need Mg, too much prevents the uptake of the calcium.

As to the brine and the cucumbers, you are more or less making barrel pickles. They can be kept at room temp with a little care, or left in jars in the fridge with almost no carefor extended periods of time.

Thanks again, Steve. I just don't get how I can't have 15 plants in a raised bed and they all get the same treatment yet one randomly gets the rot. Weird.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, flysully said:

JAO: Last season, especially towards the end of the season, I had several of these lemon shaped cukes growing in my cuke Earthbox which, as you know, is a self watering, covered box watered through a tube in the top of the box so no excess watering, weeds, etc. Bees were active throughout the season but some of my cukes looked like lemons, not many, but some. Maybe incomplete pollination, etc. but, since I make pickles from my cukes, I just sliced them up in the brine and went from there. This year, I changed my cuke plants to the Kirby pickle variety and, so far, all have been gorgeous 4" blocky cukes, making for perfect pickles. I switched from Burpee "Picklebush", in case you're wondering. Just use those "lemon" shaped cukes. Taste the same. Just don't look as perfect! Really like the Kirby variety and hope I'll be able to find it next year. 

I will pick one over the next couple of days and give it a try.  I hadn't even thought of doing that....

Today I will be in the area of the farm market/greenhouse where I got the started cucumber plants from and I'm going to stop in and show them and see what they think is the issue.  I'm still curious.

I went away last week and prior to leaving my squash and zucchini were fine but when I got back stem borers found them and destroyed them all, way past salvage so I am taking them out.

With that being said this will free up a little bit of space, is there anything that I can put in now for a late summer/early fall harvest.  I figured I have the space so may as well use it.

Jao - depends on the nature of the space, and also where you are and how long your season is. But by me, I might be able to get another crop of beans in but it would be pushing it. And for fall, snow/snap peas, radish, spinach, various lettuces and greens......think early spring harvest crops......maybe even broccoli and cabbage, as they are frost hardy to a point. Some of the very best cabbage comes in the late fall....and certainly kale, as that is best when it has been hit by a light frost.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:42 AM, JAO said:

I will pick one over the next couple of days and give it a try.  I hadn't even thought of doing that....

JAO, I again had a lemon shaped cucumber, picked yesterday. I've been watching what I thought was a "conjoined twin" cucumber. Today it was the right size for picking and I saw I actually have a "triplet cucumber". Hope you can see from the picture how the two smaller cukes are connected via a solid "web", like a duck's webfoot, to the main cucumber. I'll just trim off the "twins" tomorrow when I make a batch of pickles. I wonder if I have uranium in my potting mix, hahahaha!

cuke triplets 001.JPG

Edited by flysully

So... I picked one of the funky round cucumbers over the weekend and tried it... it tasted like a cucumber lol, it did have a lot of seeds though.  I picked a few and figure that I will peel them and scoop the seeds out and enjoy the rest of it. 

Here is a pic that I took after picking them.  I have four cucumber plants growing.  I picked three regular cucs and three round ones all of the same plants and here they all are for comparison along with some other veggies in the pic.

cucs.jpg

Anyone have any tips for critters?  We have an electric deer fence around the garden but the birds/squirrels/rabbits are killing us.  They're even stealing the hot peppers.

2 hours ago, JAO said:

So... I picked one of the funky round cucumbers over the weekend and tried it... it tasted like a cucumber lol, it did have a lot of seeds though.  I picked a few and figure that I will peel them and scoop the seeds out and enjoy the rest of it. 

Here is a pic that I took after picking them.  I have four cucumber plants growing.  I picked three regular cucs and three round ones all of the same plants and here they all are for comparison along with some other veggies in the pic.

cucs.jpg

Looks great,

Did you look up if the round ones are supposed to be like that? Maybe seeds got mixed in the package/mislabeled. I planted "juliet" tomatoes 2 years now and not one of them was a "juliet". Look like a determinate beefsteak or something. Obvious packaging error. 

I've only had a couple of tomatoes ripen, so far. Like 3 black vernisage and 1 San marzano.  

Peppers look spectacular! 

Edit: lemon cucumbers. 

Edited by NaturalScience
More thoughts

23 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Anyone have any tips for critters?  We have an electric deer fence around the garden but the birds/squirrels/rabbits are killing us.  They're even stealing the hot peppers.

I've had good luck with  "Liquid Fence"

23 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Some chicken wire for rabbits? 

Don't think your keeping out birds and squirrels unless you completely surrounded it in screen/netting.

59 mins ago, Joe said:

I've had good luck with  "Liquid Fence"

57 mins ago, NaturalScience said:

Some chicken wire for rabbits? 

Don't think your keeping out birds and squirrels unless you completely surrounded it in screen/netting.

Thanks!  Will try the liquid fence and some chicken wire.  Not sure why I didn't think of chicken wire for the rabbits. 

I have been using the bird netting and its effective to keep the deer from poking over the fence.  Small critters  not so much but they burrow under anything you can put down anyway.

I find the marigolds help alot to keep most critters away.  Next year I may border them around my garden as well as in between.

I have been putting down Epsom salt on my plants in the first month and it seems to help with the rot.

Lost most of my zucchini to worm borers.  My winter squash got it too.  It wont make it to sept.  I planted a few more seeds but it probably is too late.

I might do a planting of broccilirabe or broccolini  in another month in its place.

I am cuked out.   Too many.