NaturalScience

2019 Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

Tape a flashlight to your vacuum cleaner and give it to your kids.  If you have a UV spectrum flashlight, it will light the insects up like christmas lights. 

On 7/1/2019 at 11:54 AM, hobobob said:

Tape a flashlight to your vacuum cleaner and give it to your kids.  If you have a UV spectrum flashlight, it will light the insects up like christmas lights. 

Screw the kids   that sounds like fun   I'll do it myself

Okay stripers, 

It's time (near as I can tell) to harvest the garlic. 

One of the recurring suggestions is for good ventilation. 

The plan is hang them in the basement (it is kind of climate controlled, dehumidifier, no cooling).

Dry for 2 to 4 weeks. Brush and trim.

Sound about right?

flea beetles can do the same, holes and hard to see 

l've had them on eggplant, peppers, and other things in the past

organic gardening can be exhausting/frustrating:mad:

nothing tastes better though

homemade dawn/essential oil mixes work but constant reapplications are a must

good luck, happy gardening 

Wow, look at these bugs flying around the butterfly bush, she says. What are they? They look like they could sting.

They're hummingbird moths... pretty cool huh.

Now I have tomato hornworms along with the black bottom.

And slug traps need emptied every day.

2 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

Okay stripers, 

The plan is hang them in the basement (it is kind of climate controlled, dehumidifier, no cooling).

Sound about right?

If you peel off the outer 2-3 layers of leaves as you harvest, there will be no need to brush them off. They will look as clean as what you see in the grocery store.

The rest, yes...........

4 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

Okay stripers, 

Sound about right?

I don’t try to clean them too much until after they cure. Just the worst mud.  Then when you trim the roots most of any dry dirt is easily brushed off.  I try to keep all the layers if I can but if a layer has to go I rub it off starting at the roots.  More layers seems to help it cure and keep longer.  You may have some heads that are separating at the top.  Use these first.   Leave the tops on until completely brown and crispy.  Bulbs draw moisture from leaves as they cure and unless dry the cut ends can allow fungus to get an edge. 

Thank you.

Good extra bits of knowledge right there.

For no explicable reason I have decided to hang them outside under the woodshed for one week.

It's open on all sides with a large overhang roof.

All but no chance of getting wet.

I'm thinking the extra airflow outdoors can help them cure well initially, with the move into the basement to finish. 

I believe I got 40 heads, which I think is a reasonable place to start. This was in a 2'x8' bed. 

Two varieties, chesnok red and German hardy.  I may try to squeeze a few more in the bed this fall.

I'll probably try some other varieties too. Any suggestions? 

I don’t know much about garlic varieties.   I have a rocambole and a porcelain, both hardnecks.   I can save heads to plant and seem to reproduce reliably.  No point to grow more than I can use by spring, doesn’t store well longer. 

From a few years ago:

Tried to find pictures of skinnywater's harvest back in 2012, but the image has been lost even though I found the post.

I try to plant about 100 cloves.  MMike, skinny and others grow a lot and dry or otherwise process to keep it.  Should be a pic of Mike’s minivan full of it.  I don’t have that much room.   Since it’s planted in the fall there’s still plenty left to pick seed from and  cull out the small cloves.  

From a few years ago..... before I had  TRUCK!5be89604159e1_garlichallockville-1.jpg.bcecb7894f8ba46834f1e61c092605ee.jpg

Some of the varieties we grow....

599b20fdda5e8_2018Garlic-1(1).jpg.0064f6682fe2150f57b6bcbdfb41bd3d.jpg

Started digging this year’s harvest today...

It’s been perfectly dry weather here (so far) for this year’s crop to finish up.  Hope it stays fairly dry for the next week or two as we continue to dig as the varieties finish up.  :th: