NaturalScience

2019 Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, NaturalScience said:

Love when stuff I need is actually lying around.

It can be taken too far, I'm a packrat verging on hoarder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gellfex said:

It can be taken too far, I'm a packrat verging on hoarder.

I know the feeling. I try to make an effort to be reasonable about what I need to keep.

P.S. I have 4 sheds. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, NaturalScience said:

I know the feeling. I try to make an effort to be reasonable about what I need to keep.

P.S. I have 4 sheds. Lol.

It's funny, today a tenant of mine in a 500 sq ft 1 BR was moving in his girlfriend. She had had her minifridge despite there being an 18 cu ft in the unit, and I'm kidding you not, the kitchen sink! Well, it was really maybe a stainless wet bar sink, but really! Even I say sometimes you gotta let go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So anyone have any ideas about what is eating the crap out of my eggplant leaves.

The list of perpetrators include Colorado potato beetle, hornworm.

I have seen no evidence of pest on the plant save for the eaten leaves.

It seems the flowers are targeted as well. I had a nice bunch of flowers initially but only one fruit managed to set.

I'm trying to keep up with the neem oil but it seems as soon as the new leaves sprout up the buggies eat em.

I just got some other organic rated cides  I'm going to try.

20190629_200006.jpg

20190629_200020.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, gellfex said:

It's funny, today a tenant of mine in a 500 sq ft 1 BR was moving in his girlfriend. She had had her minifridge despite there being an 18 cu ft in the unit, and I'm kidding you not, the kitchen sink! Well, it was really maybe a stainless wet bar sink, but really! Even I say sometimes you gotta let go.

There's always one! Too funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem with my roses. I did spray some Neem, but it's been so damn rainy. Can't be slugs can it? The only other plants getting bothered are the peppers. Harvested my 1st cukes today, 1/2 doz at once! It's going to be raining kirbys this week.

 

5d18000d89cd2_eatenroses.PNG.49b64024f33cf0ae3ad25c48f83cbaea.PNG

 

 

Edited by gellfex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be slugs. I've seen them on the cabbage. My basil is taking a walloping too.

It's been a challenge to keep up with the spraying. It's seems a day or two after I spray it raining again. Grrr. 

That's awesome with the cukes.  I got a slow jump this year. Not expecting anything for a good while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I went out to see I could find the culprit and low and behold that old nemesis the Japanese beetle was out there munching on the pepper plants. 

I had sprayed the basil and eggplant with the spinosad earlier and no beetles were on them. 

Tomorrow I'll spray the BT strain I got that is supposed to be effective on beetles.

20190629_221251.jpg

20190629_221311.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaturalScience said:

Could be slugs. I've seen them on the cabbage. My basil is taking a walloping too.

It's been a challenge to keep up with the spraying. It's seems a day or two after I spray it raining again. Grrr. 

That's awesome with the cukes.  I got a slow jump this year. Not expecting anything for a good while. 

My pole beans are just about ready to start harvesting too, like 3 cherry tomatoes ready to pick, and there's one 'Zucchetta Rampicante' zucchini but I don't know if it pollinated. Basil is good, the leaves are oddly wrinkled though.  My project today was swapping out some 20 year old hose that was running around the perimeter of the patio and was hard as a rock, for 1/2" drip pipe. Weird thing was the fittings I had that the hose inserts into weren't holding, and I had to swap them for ones that go inside the hose. Lucky I have a stash of this stuff. I took an old plano tackle box and filled it with all the drippers, sprayers, connectors and other fittings.

 

On another site someone showed these 250 gallon cube liquid storage tanks that can be bought used. It has me wondering about getting one for roof water capture. Water costs a ton here, I have a 1000 sq ft roof, that means 1/4" of rain gets me 150 gal! It would need some serious pimping out, like a pump for dripper pressure, and a float valve to keep  like 50 gal in it from the city water if it falls low. Projects....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was gonna call Japanese Beetle for the roses. And I guess they would go for the nightshade family eggplant, as I have had issues with them eating potato leaves in years past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

So I went out to see I could find the culprit and low and behold that old nemesis the Japanese beetle was out there munching on the pepper plants. 

I had sprayed the basil and eggplant with the spinosad earlier and no beetles were on them. 

Tomorrow I'll spray the BT strain I got that is supposed to be effective on beetles.

20190629_221251.jpg

20190629_221311.jpg

I have same issue.  I cover my basil with a screen  but cant do that with every plant   and I dont want to spray my  veggies.   Using sevin  on my Rose's but they still get through.     Damn peppers are getting hammered.   Now they are attacking my lemon tree.

 

Anyone have any ideas to control them besides spraying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was researching controls yesterday.  There are some products that target the grubs. A fungus that feeds on them as well as nematodes that also prey on the grubs. They are often used together, the nematodes help distribute the fungus. They are both allegedly safe. This, of course doesn't help with now. I believe the article started up to 3 years to become effective. Doesn't stop the adults from flying in anyway. 

Row covers.

Hand picking.

Otherwise it's various pesticides, organic or conventional. 

I've been primarilly using neem oil this year. 

For the most part I think it's been a decent control but it doesn't seem to be that great against beetles and slugs.

Maybe Mike or Steve has some good advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.