NaturalScience

2019 Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

So I came across these nasties while I was applying yet another dose of neem oil to the garden (I swear I rains every time I apply). They were on the tomatillo along with mommy or daddy, a three striped potato beetle. I've been pretty regular about spraying but I'm considering using some beetle traps as well. I'm looking into a particular strain of BT that works on potato beetle, also.

The slugs have shown up on the cabbage. I've sprayed them with neem, too, but it didn't seem to deter the slugs. Buried half a beer there to see if that will help.

20190625_195324.jpg

20190625_195329.jpg

8 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

So I came across these nasties while I was applying yet another dose of neem oil to the garden (I swear I rains every time I apply). They were on the tomatillo along with mommy or daddy, a three striped potato beetle. I've been pretty regular about spraying but I'm considering using some beetle traps as well. I'm looking into a particular strain of BT that works on potato beetle, also.

The slugs have shown up on the cabbage. I've sprayed them with neem, too, but it didn't seem to deter the slugs. Buried half a beer there to see if that will help.

20190625_195324.jpg

20190625_195329.jpg

Those three lined potato beetles really do prefer tomatillos.  They can defoliate a plant in only a few days if the infestation is severe. Those larvae coat themselves with their own excrement to protect themselves from predators.

Spinosad based products might be a better control product rather than neem.  Hand picking is the usual control for home gardens - that should work for your situation.  

There will be another generation that will hatch later in the summer so keep your eye out for that hatch.

Good luck!

I'm thinking about the spinosad but if I remember correctly it's harmful to bees until it dries. 

At this point I've been hand picking best I can. There haven't been too many but obviously some get by. They might be the hardest shell beetles I've come across. Have to use actual muscle to squish. Lol.

I think I have some type of pest on my zucchini.  Some of the stems look like they are cut off.  It looks like a clean cut.  I haven’t found anything similar on google yet. Any thoughts? 

My other issue is they don’t seem to be getting pollinated.  Tons of big beautiful flowers but no fruit.  The squash right next to them are doing fine.  I may try to hand pollinate this weekend. 

8B6CDD5A-6CBC-4D17-841E-63F65ADFC5FF.jpeg

48FA25C4-033B-4C27-B499-8332667E496F.jpeg

I only see one female flower in pics.  Sometimes first flowers are male, females later.  Are you seeing little squash wither away after flowers drop?

My guess on pest is a bunny but there are lots of possibilities 

33 mins ago, JimW said:

I only see one female flower in pics.  Sometimes first flowers are male, females later.  Are you seeing little squash wither away after flowers drop?

My guess on pest is a bunny but there are lots of possibilities 

Gardening is new for me... I had to google male and female flowers, yes, I only have males and haven't seen any females.  I have had the male flowers for probably three weeks now. 

I have to kick myself for this, I was thinking bugs and totally overlooking the obvious critters.  Time to fix my fence and see if that helps.

The summer squash will produce a bunch male flowers first then the female start to show.

Looking at the bottom picture, those skinny stems that are bare look like the male flower stems, in which case, is normal as the flower falls of after it's done blooming.

Otherwise the plants look healthy.

I got this on one of my tomato plant, some of the lower leaves. mildrew? fungus? blight?  Already sprayed with hydrogen peroxide water mix 2 days ago. Treatment option?

20190627_111933.jpg.f3a4483a63ca3028c456833a27ea83ce.jpg

20190627_112005.jpg.b2afa8fc63004da9f06eb540324fd4b4.jpg

20190627_112011.jpg.36e74a611c8c8132ea05e863b58b260b.jpg

This is from my mint plant, I thought they were pretty much indestructible. Different part of the yard.

20190627_112030.jpg.ce475a0e08922ae166e00f92a5ae26c8.jpg

20190627_112034.jpg.aa3d9633cd9d3998e5cd8292ccf66540.jpg

2 hours ago, JAO said:

Gardening is new for me... I had to google male and female flowers, yes, I only have males and haven't seen any females.  I have had the male flowers for probably three weeks now. 

I have to kick myself for this, I was thinking bugs and totally overlooking the obvious critters.  Time to fix my fence and see if that helps.

I think NS is correct, the skinny stems are male after flower drops.  In that bottom pic, to the left near middle of the plant it looks like a female.  You can see the fat stem is actually a little squash.  

I finally got my drip fertigation rig running! About a 30:1 ratio of water to mix, 180 ppm of liquid fertilizer in daily irrigation of my mostly container garden. Could be a game changer, I was always bad at keeping up with the side dressing of fertilizer during the season. I dialed in the ppm by trial and error taking sample cups from the test hose for the ppm meter.

fertigator.PNG.9303768225bc85826d08a5b85e622591.PNG

52 mins ago, NaturalScience said:

That's really fantastic Gellflex. 

Looks professional. 

I really like the big sports jug for the fertilizer bucket. Very clever. 

Hahaha, the jug was what I had sitting around in the garage! All my old cat litter buckets with lids were full of other stuff.