Little

Free college for all, how does that work in your estimation DEMOCRATS

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Im 56.  I would like an advanced degree.  But, in something I love, literature maybe.  Just for the desire to learn.

I get the money.  

You, the democrat left winger, are sitting with some citizens who are against this kind of redistribution.

Justify your actions of taking their money and giving to me to go to school.

Go ahead, lets hear it.

Well from my POV, as a (hypothetical) Dem... taking their money for me to go study Southwester North Dakota Art History Therapy... means more Dem votes and more Dem power and so they can take *more* of their money for me for even *more* things.... like food and housing and clothing and florida vacations.  They are rights after all, and the folks we take from are keeping me from my rights by grabbing up all of society's money in the first place.

So I am in favor.

Edited by hamlet

I was commenting to the wife last night that the Dems sure do love to talk about "rights".

They don't have a clue what a "right" is, but it sure does get em all fired up.

1 hour ago, Little said:

Im 56.  I would like an advanced degree.  But, in something I love, literature maybe.  Just for the desire to learn.

I get the money.  

You, the democrat left winger, are sitting with some citizens who are against this kind of redistribution.

Justify your actions of taking their money and giving to me to go to school.

Go ahead, lets hear it.

Move to TN and have at it, but you may not get an "advanced degree", nor will anyone else.   Dive into the policies that exist, understand the programs, and then deride the policies. 

"Tennessee

Starting in 2018, all students in Tennessee including adults will become eligible for free tuition at the state's community colleges and technical schools as long as they don't already have an associate's or bachelor's degree. It is an expansion of a program that began in 2015 offering free tuition to students who had graduated high school the previous spring.

Students must be state residents for at least a year before applying. To keep the scholarship, they have to enroll at least part-time, maintain a 2.0 GPA and complete eight hours of community service each semester.

The program cost the state lottery fund about $12 million in the first year and is expected to cost an additional $10 million a year to include adults."

You can get yer English Lit course, thanks to the State Gov and the Lottery program.  

San Francisco

All 28,000 students at City College of San Francisco won't have to pay for their tuition, starting in the fall of 2017. The program is one of the most progressive because every resident is eligible no matter when they finished high school. And unlike other plans, it doesn't matter whether you're pursuing a degree or simply want to take one class. It also offers the poorest students additional money to help pay for these other expenses.

The city is increasing a real estate transfer tax on luxury properties to pay for the scholarship, which is expected to cost $5.4 million over the first two years.

New York

In April, New York became the first state to make tuition free for both two- and four- year colleges beginning this fall. Eligible undergraduate students won't have to pay anything for tuition at a State University or City University of New York school.

But students whose families earn more than $125,000 a year won't be eligible. Even though you don't need to be a recent high school grad, you cannot already have a degree. You also must enroll as a full-time student and are required to live and work in New York for the same number of years you received the scholarship.

The program is expected to cost the state $163 million a year.

Oregon

Students who started community college in the fall of 2016 were the first to benefit from the Oregon Promise scholarship, which covers most of tuition for recent high school graduates and GED recipients. Adults returning to school are not eligible.

Students must be a state resident for at least a year before applying, earned a minimum of 2.5 GPA in high school, and enroll at least part time.

The program cost the state $10.9 million during the first year.

Because of a state budget shortfall, the state was forced to limit eligibility for the 2017-2018 school year. Starting this fall, students from high-income families will be excluded.

2 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Move to TN and have at it, but you may not get an "advanced degree", nor will anyone else.   Dive into the policies that exist, understand the programs, and then deride the policies. 

"Tennessee

Starting in 2018, all students in Tennessee including adults will become eligible for free tuition at the state's community colleges and technical schools as long as they don't already have an associate's or bachelor's degree. It is an expansion of a program that began in 2015 offering free tuition to students who had graduated high school the previous spring.

Students must be state residents for at least a year before applying. To keep the scholarship, they have to enroll at least part-time, maintain a 2.0 GPA and complete eight hours of community service each semester.

The program cost the state lottery fund about $12 million in the first year and is expected to cost an additional $10 million a year to include adults."

You can get yer English Lit course, thanks to the State Gov and the Lottery program.  

1) thats paid for by voluntary funds-gambling.  It is not confiscation

2) I cant go to college after all.  So the gummit will ration education.

Thats not fair.

1 min ago, KnewBee said:

Oregon

Students who started community college in the fall of 2016 were the first to benefit from the Oregon Promise scholarship, which covers most of tuition for recent high school graduates and GED recipients. Adults returning to school are not eligible.

Students must be a state resident for at least a year before applying, earned a minimum of 2.5 GPA in high school, and enroll at least part time.

The program cost the state $10.9 million during the first year.

Because of a state budget shortfall, the state was forced to limit eligibility for the 2017-2018 school year. Starting this fall, students from high-income families will be excluded.

If a state decides to give away tax payer money, that is one thing, if the Feds do it, entirely another.

I want to finish my degree too. 60 ain't too old, either...or are you going to discriminate on the basis of age?

2 mins ago, Little said:

1) thats paid for by voluntary funds-gambling.  It is not confiscation

2) I cant go to college after all.  So the gummit will ration education.

Thats not fair.

Go to a public library and read up on English Lit.  You may even be able to check out an English Lit College book that has the latest Cannon. 

A few years ago stats showed that US "colleges" awarded 79,000 bachelor degrees in fashion design.  That same year the labor stats showed 1500 job available in fashion design.  Which of those colleges do you think told their students "your $50K a year is for a pipe dream". None.  And they took the money from the students anyway.

I dont want my hard earned income taken and spent on crap like that.  If a student wants to voluntarily waste 10 years or more of their future earnings that is their prerogative.  It is NOT their right to waste my money, no matter how many grifters they manage to elect.

Edited by hamlet