t_man7

What do you canal?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Even if not fishing the canal, i have really come to prefer the SP minnow canal rigged.  Makes releasing fish so much easier, and keeps that rear hook from doing extra damage!

I canal rig pretty much every minnow style plug, stick shads magic swimmers etc but I don’t canal rig larger SP’s. I got in my head that it changes the action. 

On 2/2/2019 at 0:04 AM, gabe said:

I want to first that I hate magic swimmers. I will also say that I cannot deny their effectiveness above any other lure in some conditions. That being said, the one that I use is old and has seen more than its fair share of fish. I use one single hook with a swivel/double split ring setup. Even with a barb, the single has less potential for damage as those running single or double treble setups that seem unnecessary based on the feeding method of the bass. Sometimes the hook will snag over the body and I have lost fish that hit it and can not be hooked. I don't lose sleep over it. 

One of the largest bass that I have ever caught was on this exact lure, while the hook was trapped in the front joint. It may sounds like a fisherman's tale, but the fish came in with it's giant mouth wide open, the lure wedged vertically in it's mouth.  I laughed, said out loud  "Have you ever seen this?" and released the fish with not a single mark on it.

IMG-3995.JPG

Is that. VMC in-line,,,also what size ?

11 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

I canal rig pretty much every minnow style plug, stick shads magic swimmers etc but I don’t canal rig larger SP’s. I got in my head that it changes the action. 

I haven't found it changes the action and have had a high success rate with them, but need to be careful of size swivel/split ring as the hooks will get caught on the nose of the plug unlike the medium size.  Which is rather annoying.

that's what people tell me but I'm not sold. :D

confidence is a big thing, and right or wrong, I lost mine with this specific thing. I freely admit that it doesn't make sense that I canal rig basically every other style of minnow plug- colt snipers, mambows, rapalals, magic swimmers etc, of all sizes :shrug:

Canal Rig on almost everything. Why not is a better qustion. What about using a cut hook as southshorephil recommends??

22 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

canal rigged was always a cut hook, no? :headscratch:

Some do a split to a swivel and then to another split. I prefer to cut my hooks and eliminate the extra length from another split. 

On 2/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, cashews121 said:

Is that. VMC in-line,,,also what size ?

Yep it is, 5/0. Makes for easy removal with just my fingers

1 hour ago, gabe said:

Yep it is, 5/0. Makes for easy removal with just my fingers

I would love to run singles,,just as long you are getting solid hookups,,do you know the model # of those VMC’s?