Alexey

Mag Minnows. Do they work?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I see no love on this forum whatsoever for Yo Zuri Mag Minnow lures.  The wiggle and casting distance look great.  Is it that they don’t work too well for stripers?  Is there a target fish, location or a fishing situation where you would use mag minnow?  Or is it just an unsuccessful lure?

IMO, they are a good lure. Their swim action is too aggressive, but sometimes that's what the bass want. I've have a few days and nights when it seemed the bass would bite any other lure, within a similar size range, but would not bite the M Minnow. I've also had a few good spring days when hungry fish immediately saw and attacked this lure. I keep one in my bag because it's fun and easy to fish (you can stay in contact and know exactly where it is) and works well enough. I plan on trying different/slower/stop-go retrieves with it. I honestly think there are times when bass, who get a good look at the lure, decide the crazy wiggle ain't right, and decline to strike.

I have probably spent more time fishing and trying minnow plugs that most people. They have always fascinated me to a degree. Personally, I don't care for the MM profile and swimming depth. Over the years (many of them) the best most consistent catching minnows time after time for me have been of a thinner profile and higher riding variety. It's that simple for me. Bomber Long Cast (two larger sizes), Mavericks, Tobimarus, Megabaits, Windcheaters and probably a dozen more all with their chunking profiles never were more than luke warm plugs for me. Some of them outright duds. Bomber Long A's and A salts, Redfins, Mambos, Rebels, SP minnow (small size) and Bomber Long Cast (small size) all have been most consistent producers. I fished a lot of places from NY up to Cape Cod for many years too all with the same results. Could be me but that's what I have found to be the case.

I think it boils down to why fish with a lure that catches once and a while when you can use something that is pretty much a sure thing . All artificial lures will catch occasionally but why waste your time with those when you know a Bomber , Red fin or SP minnow will put fish on the beach for you with consistency.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Personally, I love the Mag Minnow. I put stronger, heavier hooks on it, this slows down the wiggle and turns it more into a sashay. Not often the first lure out of the bag but one that is always in rotation in the fall. 

TimS

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, TimS said:

Personally, I love the Mag Minnow. I put stronger, heavier hooks on it, this slows down the wiggle and turns it more into a sashay. Not often the first lure out of the bag but one that is always in rotation in the fall. 

TimS

Might be the first time the word sashay has ever been

used on SOL. :)