Stonesipher

Bleeding fish

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Over the past few weeks I have been watching many Tampa bay fishing videos and see virtually no one bleeding fish for better eating. It’s done in New England often so I’m wondering why no one seems to do it in FL?

The fish I've had from FL waters are so white and flaky (mahi, grouper, tilefish, yellow snapper) they may need not to, in fact might enhance the flavor? Plus the fish in NE post industrial era have plenty of PCBs, mercury and other contaminants so they may already have additional "seasoning". 

On 1/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, Good2Go said:

The fish I've had from FL waters are so white and flaky (mahi, grouper, tilefish, yellow snapper) they may need not to, in fact might enhance the flavor? Plus the fish in NE post industrial era have plenty of PCBs, mercury and other contaminants so they may already have additional "seasoning". 

I cant imagine that coagulated blood would enhance flavor and your assertion that the fl fish have no contaminates is hard to believe.

Anyone else care to share

My pet theory-- one of the biggest drivers of fish bleeding is the spread of Japanese fishing techniques generally, and for whatever reason, those have taken longer to catch on in Florida than in a lot of other places (perhaps because Florida tends to have a smaller Japanese population than the West Coast and the northeast). 

I’ve seen some weird things along those lines and one is pushing a stiff but thin rod down through the head and through the spine to the tail. Weird to watch but they claim it enhances flavor. To each his one.

1 hour ago, Stonesipher said:

I’ve seen some weird things along those lines and one is pushing a stiff but thin rod down through the head and through the spine to the tail. Weird to watch but they claim it enhances flavor. To each his one.

Ah yes. Ike jime technique: 

Destroying the brain and the spinal cord of the fish will prevent reflex action from happening; such muscle movements would otherwise consume adenosine triphosphate (ATP) in the muscle, and as a result produce lactic acid, making the fish sour. Furthermore, the blood contained in the fish flesh retracts to the gut cavity, which produces a better coloured and flavoured fillet. This method is considered to be the fastest and most humane method of killing fish.[3]

1 hour ago, Stonesipher said:

Yes, but this works best on a species of fish that is known to shiver as it dies, and is likely to be served raw, like a bluefin tuna.  Destroy the spinal column and the muscles can no longer convulse/spasm in an attempt to get away, generating more lactic acid, and in the case of a bluefin, generating heat.

A bluefin that is still alive, bleeding out, and thrown on ice, will shiver in an attempt to generate heat, just like we shiver when we're cold.

If it is a fish that is going to be cooked, such measures I think are not nearly as important as getting the fish simply bled and chilled ASAP.

40 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Yes, but this works best on a species of fish that is known to shiver as it dies, and is likely to be served raw, like a bluefin tuna.  Destroy the spinal column and the muscles can no longer convulse/spasm in an attempt to get away, generating more lactic acid, and in the case of a bluefin, generating heat.

A bluefin that is still alive, bleeding out, and thrown on ice, will shiver in an attempt to generate heat, just like we shiver when we're cold.

If it is a fish that is going to be cooked, such measures I think are not nearly as important as getting the fish simply bled and chilled ASAP.

Agreed. Only really for sushi

On 2/4/2019 at 1:08 PM, JoeyZac said:

:howdy:

I'm from the north also and we bled everything... I started not to bleed fish and could tell the different right away...IMO they taste alot better and you don't get the dark meat as much... but in saying this you have to be careful in the way you bleed the fish...some people just cut them some rip out the gills and others try to hit the heart with a knife with cutting the all the way thru... now here the problem that i have seen with cutting the fish all the way thru on the bottom part from the gills downward... You change the length of the fish when you do this...i have seen FWC give people tickets on gamefish... because they were real close to the min or max of the length.. they would pull on the fish and measure it and by cutting it... you change the length... i even got in involved and try to explain it the FWC (mosty young people) and they didnt care... they wanted to give the ticket.. heck i even people who were really close to the length but once the fish went into the ice it shorten the length and they got a ticket... So be careful when you do this and if you really close to the required length, imo its best to let the fish go...  

On February 4, 2019 at 0:55 PM, rst3 said:

Ah yes. Ike jime technique: 

Destroying the brain and the spinal cord of the fish will prevent reflex action from happening; such muscle movements would otherwise consume adenosine triphosphate (ATP) in the muscle, and as a result produce lactic acid, making the fish sour. Furthermore, the blood contained in the fish flesh retracts to the gut cavity, which produces a better coloured and flavoured fillet. This method is considered to be the fastest and most humane method of killing fish.[3]

Like to see someone try this on a fresh caught bluefish. Think they'd have any fingers left? 

I don't know about that... but if you are going to keep a blue you better bleed them.. or cook them with a few rock... here's what you do.. bring a pot of water to boil throw in the blues then add the rocks with some salt and pepper.. boil for awhile then when you are finish throw out the blues and eat the rocks..:laugh:

We bleed alot of fish down here in Florida, some need it and some don't but almost all benefit from it in meat quality. Problem is you were watching videos, and most of the people making them are idiots