Remington 45 Golden Saber +P or No?

Rate this topic

mako20ft

After agonizing over model and barrel length...from Buds I expect my FFL to have a Rock Island CS in 45 by around next Tuesday.  Basis specs pasted here.

Rock Island 51479 Rock Ultra CS Single 45 ACP 3.5" 7+1 Gray G10 Grip Black Parkerized

35198.jpg

I added (2) extra Mec-Gar 7rd mags and boxes of Winchester Ball to break it in.  Anyway, the Golden Saber 185gr has a solid reputation but does anyone have any real world experience with +P versus standard pressure (doesn't have to be Golden Saber)?  Again, 3-1/2" barrel so (admittedly a guess) velocity is going to be low regardless of what I select.  Both are available, $13.99 either for a box of 25 and $6.99 flat rate shipping.  Knowing me I'll stash a case so your input makes a difference.

FWIW, I've got plenty of experience with 380, 9mm, 38's and 357.  We can talk ballistics till we're blue just somehow, even with 9yrs military I just never got the 45 bug so I'm fixing it.

Thoughts...

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

....as long as it leaves the muzzle at +800/fps your ok.....sorry, but never had any luck with  3.5" Bbl. 1911's.....springs.  Smallest I'd go in a 1911 is 4.25 Commander length....OMO.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

3 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

No experience with that ammo. 

What did buds charge ya for that 45?  I'm in the market for a budget 45. Heard decent things about RIA. Definitely leaning towards Commander size or smaller. 

I'll PM you the breakdown

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

If that will be a carry gun, you can't go wrong with Hornady 185 grain Critical Defense or Federal HST.  Give them both a quick google search for short barrel performance.  The HST is nothing short of explosive in its expansion.  If you aren't permitted hollow points, like here in NJ, Critical Defense is a great round.  Both will make a great self defense round.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

....as long as it leaves the muzzle at +800/fps your ok.....sorry, but never had any luck with  3.5" Bbl. 1911's.....springs.  Smallest I'd go in a 1911 is 4.25 Commander length....OMO.

Honestly, I was DETERMINED to go with the Commander size.  I can't say honestly why but I just kept coming back to 7+1 as adequate and more concealable.  I've carried a 5 shot 357 using Azula leather since 2005 so it's not the weight...maybe just looks right?  Anyway, after enough videos to make me cross eyed I said F it and went Officer size. Here's one of many that got my attention...  I'm not huge on video reviews to make up my mind but there's no one at my range with one to handle and shoot.

2 hours ago, SallyGrowler said:

I have used Golden Saber in .40 S&W to dispatch wild boar (bada-bing right behind the ear!).

That's as close to a real-world analog as you can get. It performs well.

I don't know about the .45ACP but if it's anything like the .40 S&W I'm sure it won't fail you.

I can't speak for the +P.

Many, many (many) great hunts around the Knoxville, TN area for hogs.  Always a great weekend!

11 mins ago, Spigola said:

If that will be a carry gun, you can't go wrong with Hornady 185 grain Critical Defense or Federal HST.  Give them both a quick google search for short barrel performance.  The HST is nothing short of explosive in its expansion.  If you aren't permitted hollow points, like here in NJ, Critical Defense is a great round.  Both will make a great self defense round.

Critical Defense you say...LOL.  I took my carry off just for the pic.  I've no experience with the Federal but now I'll check it out.  Thank you Spig  :howdy:

Walther w Ammo.jpg

3 hours ago, Spigola said:

If you aren't permitted hollow points, like here in NJ

I live in America... 

NJ actually bans a perfectly legal self-defense necessity? Does LE enjoy the privilege?

Apologies...I wasn't heading off topic there. 

So anyway, you might enjoy this video since it's short/sweet and directly addresses the question (in your favor I might add).

3 hours ago, Spigola said:

HST is good stuff. What’s your favorite bullet weight?