jjdbike

Nanatucket area groundfish: June vs July?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Okay, strange question I know. I also know every season can be different, and results, conditions, bait, fish, weather etc are difficult to predict. I also know that is a big area w/ lots of different areas, depths and structures to fish.

An expereinced / educated guess is all I'm asking please.

I had a great trip last mid-July ground fishing in the Nantucket area. We caught the heck out of small haddock and cod. Fish were all over jigs and teasers. No need for bait. Precious few pollack. A bunch of Boston Macs were around too w/ bluefins busting on them.

This year I'm going in June. Is anyone here willing and able to give me a heads up on how the fishing migh differ in that area a month earlier?

Thanks!

JD

2 hours ago, b4loran said:

Not fluking?

Yes, extended multi day trip.

NJ fluke limit is only 3, so after that, it’s jigging for ground-fish.

JD

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Yes, extended multi day trip.

NJ fluke limit is only 3, so after that, it’s jigging for ground-fish.

JD

I didn't realize the trip was out of Jersey. Can you bring back two days limit on a multiple day trip out of Jersey? Something I should know. Catchem up, love multiple day trips.

13 hours ago, b4loran said:

Can you bring back two days limit on a multiple day trip out of Jersey?

love multiple day trips.

Unfortunately not. Can only have one day limit in possession, which makes for a short stint fluking w/ lots of c&r if the bite is good.

JD

Yup.

These trips on Voyager from Point Pleasent Beach NJ depart in the evening, two very long days of fishing sun up till sundown and beyond, return to dock in the morning 4 days later well rested. Heated / air conditoned bunk room, full hot gally w/ a reaaly good cook, big, fast comfortable super cruiser w/ great captain and crew. No need for driving, packing food, hotels or resutruants. Great buch of guys.

Not cheap, not for everybody, but very convienet and I enjoy it.

JD

9 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Yup.

These trips on Voyager from Point Pleasent Beach NJ depart in the evening, two very long days of fishing sun up till sundown and beyond, return to dock in the morning 4 days later well rested. Heated / air conditoned bunk room, full hot gally w/ a reaaly good cook, big, fast comfortable super cruiser w/ great captain and crew. No need for driving, packing food, hotels or resutruants. Great buch of guys.

Not cheap, not for everybody, but very convienet and I enjoy it.

JD

Sounds great except for a one day limit.

I don't mind a long steam all night to be there in the morning fish two days and a nice steam home. Driving up north is easy for me, it's that drive home that kills me. So a NJ departure ain't to bad.

Air conditioned bunk, damn, that's some fine living, I just hope for some fans to drown out the snoring and move the farts around.