New Orvis Clearwater rod

Rate this topic

Spigola

Dropped by the local Orvis shop a short time ago to let them know I am still alive and kicking and available to help with casting instructions.  I checked out the new Clearwater series of flyrod and I must say I was impressed.  Not only are the cosmetics a vast improvement but the casting ability of the rod feels totally different.  It felt much faster to me then the original Clearwater and I think it will make a hell of a starter rod for anyone getting into the sport.  I hope they are using them for the 101 classes.  I might even get myself a 5 wt 8'6" as a travel rod.    

Edited by Spigola

On 1/30/2019 at 9:28 AM, numbskull said:

LOL.  So much for the "scaled back" thread.

5 WT = FW bluegills/bass, maybe even little critters off beaches or in bays.  No more SW Flyfishing off beaches for this guy.

BTW, I get them heavily discounted.  :)

My bad.

I thought by "scaled back" you meant you were simplifying and going down to just one rod..........then just a few days later you've got a new rod in your sights.   And nothing wrong with that.  I thought it emphasized, in an amusing way, the addiction we all share.

12 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Come on Lou you are too young to retire from the sand. Have a re think.

oly

Mikey, not really retiring.  Just cutting it back quite a bit.  Trying to do things with a lot less effort these days.

4 mins ago, Spigola said:

Mikey, not really retiring.  Just cutting it back quite a bit.  Trying to do things with a lot less effort these days.

Just keep on fishing Lou. I guess if I am honest I to am slowing down a bit.

I don’t like it and In theory I have more time as retired then back to being a part time worker then fired again so back to full time retired. Not sure I like the word retired or being retired. Feel kind of useless. Economically inactive according to our government.

I dropped lure fishing and coarse fishing a few years back to concentrate on fly and Stripers.

Mike

36 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

I don’t like it and In theory I have more time as retired then back to being a part time worker then fired again so back to full time retired. Not sure I like the word retired or being retired. Feel kind of useless. Economically inactive according to our government.

I dropped lure fishing and coarse fishing a few years back to concentrate on fly and Stripers.

Mike

If you are looking for ways to fill time we can discuss during your visit.  I have ways you can do Alaska for very inexpensive if you are interested.  obviously cant help you defray the cost of getting there but once there I can put you into very good fishing options that are not well know and much cheaper since you are self guiding.

Also if your steelhead trip goes well you will find a new reason to spend time here.  Lots of moderate to cheap ways to do long great lakes trips

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Mike

Aging sucks Mike. But when I consider the option it’s not so bad. 

TGS

Thank you.  Alaska was going to be this August but plan changed to Great Lake  Tribs for Steelhead. I will be going to Alaska very soon as in maybe 2020.

Be great to know how to do this in an inexpensive way as I have the cost to get to the US to factor,in as long.

As you know I just don’t like the idea of being guided.

I have lots of dreams to fill my time but not enough money to realise them.

I stopped lure and river fishing because the love of it just died. I still can’t get my head around how this happened.

Mike

25 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

TGS

Thank you.  Alaska was going to be this August but plan changed to Great Lake  Tribs for Steelhead. I will be going to Alaska very soon as in maybe 2020.

Be great to know how to do this in an inexpensive way as I have the cost to get to the US to factor,in as long.

As you know I just don’t like the idea of being guided.

I have lots of dreams to fill my time but not enough money to realise them.

I stopped lure and river fishing because the love of it just died. I still can’t get my head around how this happened.

Mike

Mike 

You definitely don't need a guide to fish the places I would send you in Alaska.  You may need help with logistics and other things.  I can point the way of how to do a self sustained trip in Alaska, but the questions are what is your comfort level with living in the outdoors.  Its a long discussion best over beer or breakfast.  

On getting to Alaska a popular option was to take a Concord out of Germany to Anchorage or Fairbanks.  I don't know the cost, but I know it cut the travel time to less than 10 hours coming over the north pole from Europe.  I doubt its cheaper than a long flight with multiple stops, but its worth looking into.

I lived there 4 years and pretty much have dialed in every option off the road, train, or ferry network in South Central, Interior, and North Slope.  An example is you could use the train to access some areas that only accessible by train or helicopter.  Total train fare would be $320.  You would have to camp remote stream side but could have great rainbow trout and salmon fishing for the total cost of $700-750.  The breakout cost of the train fare ($320 total for four tickets), food ($250 for Mountain House 3 meals per day for 7 days), and fishing license ($135 for 7 day non resident with King Salmon Stamp).  I mastered everything from car camping to ultra light hike in options so can help you decide what are the right level of comfort for you.  For example if camping is not something you are good at then instead of a back country trip I would recommend a place where you can stay at a campground and walk to good fishing and to a town.  So happy to help you plan an amazing trip.  Another cool option is using the Alaskan Marine highway to get around the Southeastern portion of State then renting sea kayaks to get remote.  I would tell you that after arriving in Alaska a great trip can be done for one week for a price range of $700-2,000 depending on how much comfort and flexibility you require.  

This does require you to purchase some camping gear which I can advise you on how to outfit your trip for comfort and ease of travel.  For example since your are not hiking in a long distances its worth having a super cushy sleeping pad, but I recommend a Jetboil stove and eating freeze dried meals.  It also requires some bear awareness training and understanding how to stay safe in bear country.  The same gear I would recommend for alaska could be reused anywhere in North America so you could do trips to other areas such as Yellowstone National Park, Jasper or Banff in Canada.  So after investing in the gear you could a lot more low cost trips instead of staying in hotels.  When I steelhead now I stay in campgrounds and pay less than $30 a night most of the time.  

Daniel

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Daniel

Wow thanks. I will not try and attempt a comprehensive reply on the forum. I will send off a PM later. Agree that a breakfast time or evening beer would be an ideal way to understand and way up all the options. We can do this when we meet up on the   Cape.

I am reasonably experienced at light weight camping but bears scare the living daylights out of me.

I am not allowed any kind of firearm as a last resort and I understand if I have it correct that Americans are not supposed to use fire arms against bears even.

The logistics are challenging even if on a luxury type trip where a lodge is involved. Weight restriction on air craft is a big challange especially when it means bringing camping gear. It could be a case of buy it and give it away at the end of a trip.

Not much room for spare clothes so hygiene is going to be interesting.

I love light weight camping but it’s a pain if it gets to having to spend a large part of available,time surviving rather than fishing.

Heh but life’s a challange .

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

8 hours ago, JRT said:

Its a pity Orvis don't make a Recon 12wt so I might have a look at the new Clearwater 12wt if its faster than the old version.

If you can cast test out the Helios 3D I would , I have them both in the 8w &12w as the 10 w is a Recon two year old model. Clearwater in the 5w  My thoughts were the Helios 3D  were what I was looking for . Don't want to Hijack this thread 

If it has fins i want to catch it