Misled

South Jersey - What bait, when?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I'm in the AC area.  I've been trying to read up on local baits and their times of migration.  For some reason there's just not a lot out there.  Can anyone suggest a good source for baits for stripers in this area?  Perhaps some corrections to my list below.  So far I've found:

March/April

worms and clams

April/May

Herring

June/Aug

Bunker

Sept

Mullet

October

Peanut Bunker

Nov

Eels

thanks guys/ladies

I would say worms/clams early spring is popular. Mullet run is generally late September to early October. Peanut bunker are usually around from like August to decemberish.  Eels are great anytime bass are around spring or fall

I would say your breakdown is accurate more or less. Ive seen plenty of exceptions to the rules though so try not to box yourself in. Best thing to do is to observe bait first hand or follow what is being reported and be prepared for anything that comes your way.

I haven’t done this yet, but SOL NJ legend @MC55 (Mike) a professional fishing with live mole crabs, AKA sand crabs, aka “float some bugs.”

Use a circle hook, slap a few on there, maybe some split shot up the line a bit to get some weight and keep the bugs on the bottom of the water column. 

Mike mc55 can clarify if needed, but I think best times are early summer, late summer, and maybe late fall if baitfish have disappeared. Gotta get you a “buggin’ rod.”

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

Seems like sandeels should be in there someplace?

dang ur right I knew I missed some.  are sandeels around mainly in the spring/summer or all year round?

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

I haven’t done this yet, but SOL NJ legend @MC55 (Mike) a professional fishing with live mole crabs, AKA sand crabs, aka “float some bugs.”

Use a circle hook, slap a few on there, maybe some split shot up the line a bit to get some weight and keep the bugs on the bottom of the water column. 

Mike mc55 can clarify if needed, but I think best times are early summer, late summer, and maybe late fall if baitfish have disappeared. Gotta get you a “buggin’ rod.”

Floating bugs eh? going to have to look this up.  thx

4 hours ago, adams54 said:

I would say your breakdown is accurate more or less. Ive seen plenty of exceptions to the rules though so try not to box yourself in. Best thing to do is to observe bait first hand or follow what is being reported and be prepared for anything that comes your way.

Absolutely.  gotta be flexible and be able to deal with anything Poseidon throws our way.

1 hour ago, Misled said:

dang ur right I knew I missed some.  are sandeels around mainly in the spring/summer or all year round?

They are around in spring-summer-fall in New England, but my experience with NJ fishing is limited. I'm sure someone in here knows.

Sand eels arent nearly as prominent in southjersey. although i have see needle fish in the back bays, we do have tons of rainbait, some sand eels in central NJ and North NJ in mid fall. Expect to see some buker around in may in Ac region no doubt

There you go...

Regional differences. We dont have the adult bunker concentrations up north in new engl  like you guys have in NJ. Just pockets. But we can practically walk on sandeels from late spring onward.