Shell Fisherman Found Dead in East Bay

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

what does water in water weigh??

1 hour ago, Good2Go said:

water is 8 lb/gallon

actually it's 8.34lb/gal

But that's not what I asked. Water in water weighs nothing.   

27 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

actually it's 8.34lb/gal

……..   

With the caveat that the weight per gallon of water fluctuates with temperature.    ;)

I keep hearing about trapping air in your waders and keeping water out by wearing a belt, makes sense, but with all that air trapped in your waders wouldn't that make your legs lighter than your waterlogged torso and tip you upside down???????????

45 mins ago, Joe G said:

With the caveat that the weight per gallon of water fluctuates with temperature.    ;)

Of course.   :D

Did someone say this guy had a heart attack? That sucks. I kayak fish by myself quite a bit and always wonder if something like that could happen. This guy wasn't being careless, he was just unlucky. Not everyone has the opportunity (or willingness) to fish with a buddy. I guess the reality is that life is short and anything could happen at anytime.

53 mins ago, b-ware said:

I keep hearing about trapping air in your waders and keeping water out by wearing a belt, makes sense, but with all that air trapped in your waders wouldn't that make your legs lighter than your waterlogged torso and tip you upside down???????????

For sure.......That's how a comm. shellfish guy drowned in Bourne many years ago.............Up ended in swift water and could not keep his head up due to the bouyancy in his legs........

51 mins ago, tj7501 said:

Did someone say this guy had a heart attack? That sucks. I kayak fish by myself quite a bit and always wonder if something like that could happen. This guy wasn't being careless, he was just unlucky. Not everyone has the opportunity (or willingness) to fish with a buddy. I guess the reality is that life is short and anything could happen at anytime.

Yes heart attack I was told.....Commercial shellfishermen tend to fish alone so such is life.......Don't feel bad......The man passed doing what he loved!

I was wondering this morning in the shower if people wear actual waders in boats to shellfish and whatnot?
I'd probably wear grundens and boots.  

I'm no boatman or comm shellfisherman by any stretch of the imagination.  Just wondering.

57 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I was wondering this morning in the shower if people wear actual waders in boats to shellfish and whatnot?
I'd probably wear grundens and boots.  

I'm no boatman or comm shellfisherman by any stretch of the imagination.  Just wondering.

Ah launching your boat at many ramps and beachways make waders a necessity......Especially in the winter.....I can't retrieve my boat onto the trailer without the aid of waders ........ I'm in waders all day when I fish........And I fish from the boat mostly in the winter..........

1 hour ago, robc22 said:

For sure.......That's how a comm. shellfish guy drowned in Bourne many years ago.............Up ended in swift water and could not keep his head up due to the bouyancy in his legs........

Yes heart attack I was told.....Commercial shellfishermen tend to fish alone so such is life.......Don't feel bad......The man passed doing what he loved!

Uh,yeaahhh....no. I've been in over my wader tops in the St Marys rapids,keep your legs tucked and up in front of you,the bubble will keep you up but you gotta back stroke to balance,same principle as when you go overboard when whitewater rafting.

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

Uh,yeaahhh....no. I've been in over my wader tops in the St Marys rapids,keep your legs tucked and up in front of you,the bubble will keep you up but you gotta back stroke to balance,same principle as when you go overboard when whitewater rafting.

if you don't and your feet get caught between the rocks you might end up doing permanent fish surveys.  :D

5 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

actually it's 8.34lb/gal

But that's not what I asked. Water in water weighs nothing.   

I was rounding

Very metaphysical. 

None of my kids were allowed to use waders until then could swim across the Battenkill (same river as Lee) with their wader on and full of water.  Panicking usually kills people not the water in the waders.  Unfortunately it is VERY hard to stand up and/or drag yourself out of the water once water is not supporting you.  Without unclipping your suspenders on the waders you will never get back on the boat.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:17 PM, clambellies said:

The 3 deadly W's......Winter, Water & Waders.

You/we have to be very careful out there every day...

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

I see a lot of guys fishing the Canal with waders, don't know why, I am also seeing more and more guys wearing self inflatable PFDs

I do mostly when i fish before work.  I have my good duds on underneath. Its also nice to be able to sit down on a  bubble weed covered rock and not get a wet bum.  Or land and release a fish standing in the water.