Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLap21

Shell Fisherman Found Dead in East Bay

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

Once the water gets in the waders, you're dead.

I always wear a belt to minimize water intrusion,also keeps air trapped and floats you,had that happen in a river when current pushed me downstream into a deep stretch and the air trapped let me float out,took on some water but didn't sink

1 min ago, slip n slide said:

I always wear a belt to minimize water intrusion,also keeps air trapped and floats you,had that happen in a river when current pushed me downstream into a deep stretch and the air trapped let me float out,took on some water but didn't sink

Me too...this stuff happens all the time. https://www.ack.net/article/20151029/NEWS/310299964

got swept completely off the rocks this season, in waders. first time ever. ive had water come over waders, lost footing where I could touch, but this was washed off the rocks by a rogue wave, into 15' or so of water, with the waves continuing to push me away from the rocks towards deeper water. only silver lining is youre so in the m0ment you really don't have time to do anything other than go through your plan. only time I was scared was when I finally made it back to the rocks but was having a hard time getting up them. 

I got myself mired to my tits in mud.

Full on Indiana Jones quicksand (in my head), near panic. 

Finally calmed down, slithered out of my waders, half swam half rolled to solid footing.

I was not truly in a life or death (felt like it), but what I proved to myself was I could get out of the waders.

I eventually waded back in and rescued my waders.

Got the family vehicle a bit muddy on the drive home.

It's a myth that waders full of water sinks. 

Lee Wulff is said to have jumped off a bridge in waders to prove it.

Neoprene waders are buoyant. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

It's a myth that waders full of water sinks. 

Lee Wulff is said to have jumped off a bridge in waders to prove it.

Neoprene waders are buoyant. 

Rubber and canvas waders and breathables sure as eff aren't "buoyant"!   

Tell you what, I'll let you give that jump a try in my rubber shellfishing waders and I'll give you a hot cup of coffee to warm up on shore :)

You might not sink like a stone, but you might just swim like one.  And in current or undertow you're probably gonna wind up underwater.

I think a little paranoia can be a good thing, let folks think they'll sink so they don't.

Edited by pogie_boy

13 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Rubber and canvas waders and breathables sure as eff aren't "buoyant"!   

Tell you what, I'll let you give that jump a try in my rubber shellfishing waders and I'll give you a hot cup of coffee to warm up on shore :)

You might not sink like a stone, but you might just swim like one.  And in current or undertow you're probably gonna wind up underwater.

I think a little paranoia can be a good thing, let folks think they'll sink so they don't.

I have swam in waders.

On a hot night I waded a cut I knew was too deep for my waders but I had on only tee shirt and shorts inside the waders.

Thinking of the Lee Wulff story, I said F it and did the side stroke holding my surf rod and bag, wearing kmart rubber waders.

I only swam a tiny distance but my waders were full and I did not sink.

Now climbing out was another matter. I had to dump most of the water while on my knees.

You would be amazed at how easy it is when panic is not part of the equation. 

Of course obviously cold weather, physical condition, surf, current, etc all up the ante.

All I'm saying is the "fall in with waders is certain death" fear so many have is myth.

Google the 'tube videos of folks proving it.

Sure, think of the physics of it.  You're surrounded by water with what, 10 pounds of rubber attached to you?   Not too hard.

Doesn't mean it's not a stupid thing to feel confident about. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I have swam in waders.

On a hot night I waded a cut I knew was too deep for my waders but I had on only tee shirt and shorts inside the waders.

Thinking of the Lee Wulff story, I said F it and did the side stroke holding my surf rod and bag, wearing kmart rubber waders.

I only swam a tiny distance but my waders were full and I did not sink.

Now climbing out was another matter. I had to dump most of the water while on my knees.

You would be amazed at how easy it is when panic is not part of the equation. 

Of course obviously cold weather, physical condition, surf, current, etc all up the ante.

All I'm saying is the "fall in with waders is certain death" fear so many have is myth.

Google the 'tube videos of folks proving it.

I can drop you off a 1/4 mile off seal rocks in buzzards bay........15 feet of water........Dodge the ice floes swimming in ur waders and hope u make it to shore across a strong current.......Go...Go....wader man!.......:laugh:

7 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Good lesson that you should always take a buddy fishing with you if you are able. Could keep you alive. 

This was comm. guy.....We don't usually fish with friends.......

Edited by robc22

29 mins ago, robc22 said:

I can drop you off a 1/4 mile off seal rocks in buzzards bay........15 feet of water........Dodge the ice floes swimming in ur waders and hope u make it to shore across a strong current.......Go...Go....wader man!.......:laugh:

Why would I or anyone else be wearing waders in that location?

I'm not wader man. Any of you can do what I'm talking about. 

Funny, panic is the real killer but everybody's terrified of something that can't happen. (Being sunk by waders)

Paranoia is not helpful if it leads to panic.

7 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Why would I or anyone else be wearing waders in that location?

I'm not wader man. Any of you can do what I'm talking about. 

Funny, panic is the real killer but everybody's terrified of something that can't happen. (Being sunk by waders)

Paranoia is not helpful if it leads to panic.

Ah....Because you are an rec. angler  and not a waterman.....Waders get worn for many reasons.....Not only on the job but on the way to the job as well.......Called practicality......

13 hours ago, robc22 said:

Didn't know that. Still gotta wonder if someone else were with him might have had a diff ending

Not to be a 'know it all' but in the last couple years I've worn an inflatable PFD almost every time I've been in my boat alone.  If you keep your eyes open they now sell for about $55 at West Marine when they go on sale.  I'm seriously thinking about wearing one while trout fishing in larger streams and rivers when it gets cold enough that waders are required.  We now have a lot of tools that didn't exist before.  If there is a macho aspect driving anyone's desire to not wearing or using safety equipment think of your kids being raised without you.  This post is in no way meant to judge the departed. If it was a stroke or MI none of this would have mattered anyhow most likely.