Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLap21

Shell Fisherman Found Dead in East Bay

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Sad story, and I hope it was no one from here.  

OSTERVILLE — Police and firefighters pulled the body of a middle-aged man from East Bay on Monday, according to a statement from the Centerville-Osterville-Marstons Mills Fire Department.

The man was taken to Cape Cod Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to Tara Miltimore, spokeswoman for the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office.

The man was wearing waders and heavy winter clothes, the Fire Department statement says. Shortly after the body was found, officials located a partially submerged skiff with shellfishing equipment anchored at the entrance to the Centerville River, which empties into East Bay.

Rescuers responded near the entrance of Dowses Beach at 1:34 p.m. with an engine, two ambulances, a small boat and an incident commander. They were directed by two bystanders to a body floating about 20 yards offshore, the statement says.

The body was pulled ashore by firefighters and Barnstable police.

Firefighters and personnel from the Barnstable Harbor Master’s Office retrieved the boat. The Barnstable police and state police detectives assigned to the district attorney’s office are investigating the incident, but no foul play is suspected, Miltimore said.

Sad.......But shows how it easy it can be to drown just a few feet from shore. Happened in Bourne 25 years ago.........

1 hour ago, robc22 said:

Sad.......But shows how it easy it can be to drown just a few feet from shore. Happened in Bourne 25 years ago.........

Stuff can happen very fast out there, and in seemingly non-dangerous spots, no question!  

9 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Very sad.  Sounds like the skiff took on water maybe and he was forced into the water himself?  

Certainly possible.  Digging over the side of the skiff and tipping is also another possible scenario. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Trying to find out more.......Right now all are thinking he hit something and got tossed from the boat which also explain the half sunk skiff

Edited by robc22

Posted (edited) · Report post

Passing Eastbound over Bass River several weeks back on rt6 in the brief window of view to the South of the new bike trestle I spotted a guy wearing what looked like yellow rain slicker (it was raining and about 40)  swimming mid-river against the outgoing tide. I had just enough time to do a double take and spot the submerged boat about ten feet behind him. Made the call to the Dennis FD to make sure he made it ok. Turns out there were two guys and they made it ok but they took a ride to CCH in Hyannis just to be sure all was good after being rescued.

Edited by JEFFSOD

Pulled a man out a couple years back in November. One man CPR for over fifteen minutes until help found us. He died. Still haunts me. God Speed.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:06 AM, TLap21 said:

The man was wearing waders and heavy winter clothes, the Fire Department statement says. Shortly after the body was found, officials located a partially submerged skiff with shellfishing equipment anchored at the entrance to the Centerville River, which empties into East Bay.

If the skiff was anchored that would eliminate the possibility of being thrown from it, maybe he slipped over the gunnel and then trying to get back in tipped it enough to allow some water to enter? Either way, tragic and sad...RIP :(

TimS

9 mins ago, TimS said:

If the skiff was anchored that would eliminate the possibility of being thrown from it, maybe he slipped over the gunnel and then trying to get back in tipped it enough to allow some water to enter? Either way, tragic and sad...RIP :(

TimS

Well....Wind against the tide that day......Prolly why the anchored boat had water in it...........He did have a heart attack I was told...........

On 1/29/2019 at 0:42 PM, capequahog said:

saw this as posted, RIP , no joke out on the water, helped a guy up once, fell down in his waders and couldn't get up, knee deep

For sure Was that you that saved me the time I was Scratching in the creek or some one else >   I know that whom ever it was was greatly appreciated in another time . Even with my large boogy board I was unable to stand, but it kept me from sinking more in the water. One can never be to careful in the water. The fire department was called and they took care of me after I had to get out of all the filled up waders.