DoorGunner

Trying something new tomorrow....actually today.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

End of last season I picked up a cammo blind from Ameristep. 

Ameristep AM-1RX1S008 Outhouse Blind in Realtree Xtra

Don't hunt but I do enjoy taking photos of nature. Here at the dock at this time of year we get a serious assortment of ducks feeding in our protected waters. Plus three or four loons but all are camera shy. Would set up one camera on my pod and wait as the birds came close to the dock. Then when a bunch would dive down I would run out and try to surprise them when the surfaced. Only problem was that all would dive at the same time and those on the surface were watching and warning. When the divers did surface they were already on the move and I had just a second or two to take my shots. 

My original plan for the blind was to set up at my girlfriends house. Perfect location with a woody back yard with plenty of flowering bushes and shrups with a thick tree line in the back of the property. Good size lake across the street and thick woods with wetlands across the road. Want to set up a feeder with a good looking tree branch above it and then the blind so I can line up with a good background and shoot at close range. Have two good lenses (cannon 200mm white lens and my favorite a 600mm Tamron lens)

Depending on the weather report and rain arrival I believe I will take the blind and the white lens to the dock tomorrow and set up on one of the floating docks with a chair inside. Yesterday there were many many ducks that came right up to the dock and this could work out real nice. Want to do it before the freeze hits on Thursday because our quiet waters ice over fast and the ducks won't return till it all melts.

I'm talking about it before I do it so that usually means the idea will suck but I had a nap this evening and now I'm up and needed something to do. Battery is charged, lens is clean and the blind is ready to pop up.   

Edited by DoorGunner

Destined for failure. Dreary sky with a wind right into the dock that would just mess with the blind. Lots of ducks but there was tension afloat. Most of the diver ducks are small and they seemed to be in three flocks floating around. We also have a loon and he just isn't very sociable. When the ducks came close the loon would lower his head to be level with his body with that long bill sticking straight out and move right at the ducks. I guess they were used to this because as soon as he took up this position they would all turn and move away. The loon looked about three times their size and he wasn't cutting them any slack. Left my blind in the shop so after the thaw I'll try again.

Took the camera to the dock today with hopes but the wind quickly blew them away. Every bird from sparrow to loon were feeding heavily because they know whats coming. Temps were dropping all day and wind kept getting stronger. When I left I looked out and it feels strange. Sun reflecting off the water and tomorrow it will all be solid ice. Short lived because they are calling for temps to reach 60 on Monday. I think I need to find a way to anchor the blind to the dock. Came with spikes and tie downs for on the ground but they won't work on the dock. 

perhaps a couple of ropes to cleats and/or sandbags?

I've heard ducks move more when it's windy, or so the hunters used to tell me.