Khary23

Beginner Fly Tying Kit

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hello all, I want to start tying my own flies and am looking for advise on a good kit all in one kit. I think that I'd prefer a pedestal to clamp vise otherwise I'm pretty open. As far as price I'd like to keep under $150 , under $100 would be preferable. 

What do you want to tie flies for? Salt,fresh,species,etc? You need to help us help you................

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, theshadow said:

What do you want to tie flies for? Salt,fresh,species,etc? You need to help us help you................

Yes that probably would be helpful information. I plan on tying for both fresh and saltwater species.  For saltwater; striped bass, bluefish and false albacore. Freshwater trout and bass. 

Edited by Khary23

Don't buy a all in one kit. It's a sucker tax for the lazy. You only need 2 items. A vise and a bobbin. I would buy a bobbin with ceramic insert $10-$15 and use the rest of the money to buy the best rotatory vise I can afford. A whip finisher can be had for cheap, you can even make one easily. 

22 hours ago, hobobob said:

Don't buy a all in one kit. It's a sucker tax for the lazy. You only need 2 items. A vise and a bobbin. I would buy a bobbin with ceramic insert $10-$15 and use the rest of the money to buy the best rotatory vise I can afford. A whip finisher can be had for cheap, you can even make one easily. 

Do you have any suggestions for a good reasonably priced vise?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Khary,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a new convertible vise and selling my Atlas Anvil Vise shortly.  Its in great shape and should handle what you need.   The Atlas is a good beginner vise and I have both the platform base and the optional clamp base as well.  Check out some of the online review videos and if your interested let me know and I'll list it for sale on the BST forum to make sure I adhere to forum rules.

HT

Edited by HillTop

See what your local shop has first, there may be something. Otherwise, Griffin Superior 3ARP Vise is $110 on the big jungle warehouse site. Get your bodkin, scissors, and thread at your local shop. 

Not really a fan of the kits, especially those that come with materials.

Most of the materials are crap.

If you look around, you can find some nice used vises. 

I picked up a C-Clamp Regal that looked unused for $80.00 so friends can use it to tie on when they come into town.

Buy a good used vise and add a decent pair of scissors and a couple of bobbins and you should be in business in that $150.00 or less range.

Consider hitting a craft store for some basic materials to start tying with.

You can get large amounts for relatively cheap amounts and they are good to practice with.

Good luck in your search.

SF

On 2/6/2019 at 6:58 PM, Khary23 said:

Is that actually a shop? It looked like someone's house when I Googled.

The Hours read funny on their website. I don't wanna mislead anyone.

Bear's Den may be best choice.

I got my first kit at cabela's. Was cheap and has done the job. Definitely not the nicest, but does the job. Wanted to make sure i liked tying flies, or that i actually could, before i spend a lot of money.