Do You Have a Fly Fishing GOAL for 2019?

Rate this topic

flyangler

Although not a fly fishing related goal....I achieved something I'm proud of.  My fist Marlin.  85" White Marlin.  Was down in the DR last week.  I'm still overwhelmed with how amazing the ocean and the animals that live in it are, and the feeling I get when I catch and release one of them.

I got away from SW fly fishing for the better part of a decade, and late last year I decided it was way too long so the surfcasting gear is getting a little rest this year.  I dusted off some books from my library (Stripers & Streamers, Fly Fishing the Surf, Striper Moon, etc) and have been re-reading them and wondering how I let it go this long that I haven't fly fished. 

My 2019 goal is already underway....put the time in, and get back into SW fly fishing.

I cant wait to knock off the rust and start casting soon.

Cap Cana Jan 23 2019-1.jpg

Cap Cana Jan 23 2019-3.jpg

Jersey Shore Surfcasters

I started 2018 with two modest goals: to catch a brook trout, and to (finally) catch a fish on a wooly bugger.  I achieved the latter in the spring - my first pickerel, to boot.  I never caught a brook trout, but in fairness, I didn't go trout fishing.

This year, I'll keep the brook trout on my list and add one more: catch a fish on a fly I tied.

I got a bunch

go trout fishing more

go to hawaii to catch a bonefish ( and catch some waves :) )

Fish in NOLA for big reds ( last 5 trips have been cancelled due to weather)

Go to the everglades and sight fish a tarpon and a big beach snook

Sight fish and land a corbina in the california surf.

thats it!

14 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Very ambitious all, good luck.  

Interesting the number involving TH gear, lines or techniques. 

@HillTop I was at the Container Store today and thought this reisenthel Nestbasket could make an interesting stripping basket, if you like them deep. Flexible, almost collapsible, but will maintain shape. All plastic construction makes it SW safe. Shape makes it appropriate for front or side positioning. For $13, add a belt, some zip ties at bottom, maybe a couple drain holes and it’s ready to go. Handles probably have to go, or held in downward position with some Velcro.

DE7BEB33-73AC-4DC9-A717-7EF1DF8718A2.jpeg.e65802b11d3ad1371c82e306239bfa77.jpeg

Tom

You can’t be serious. The ocean will have much fun with that basket at your  expense.

oly

-hoping to get into some Albies and redfish in NC.  My last few trips have been affected by the weather.  Hoping to do a trip late September.

-catch some trout...I live near some pretty good trout waters, but haven't fished for trout in years.

-catch a larger smallmouth...my biggest is around 4lbs, but I know there are bigger ones where I fish

-gator bluefish...can never seem to reach them when they're around, and they never showed up where I fish in Jersey last year.

-fish as much as possible without pissing the wife off too much :)

48 mins ago, mightyrime said:

I got a bunch

go trout fishing more

go to hawaii to catch a bonefish ( and catch some waves :) )

Fish in NOLA for big reds ( last 5 trips have been cancelled due to weather)

Go to the everglades and sight fish a tarpon and a big beach snook

Sight fish and land a corbina in the california surf.

thats it!

nice list & I thought my weather booking were bad , you might have me beat by 1 or 2 

If it has fins i want to catch it