flyrad10

What’s more economical to run a gas or electric clothes dryer

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

What is more economical to install and operate, a gas or electric clothes dryer? Assume there is a gas line to a furnace  close by and the service box is near as well.

Anything that produces heat from electricity is expensive to run. A few years ago I had a problem with my furnace for about 2 weeks in November. We ran 2 medium sized electric heaters for a about 12 hours a day. My electric bill was about triple what my gas bill should've been.

I've got electric-  I've used gas and like it- seems to dry faster.  However, when you ask which is more economical, I'd say you may want to look at life-cycle costs. I'm pretty sure the comments above are correct- per individual load, gas is probably cheaper.  However, the install costs for gas will likely be higher, and I think the gas dryers are also a but more expensive and you won't  have as many to pick from. Repairs on either probably aren't that often- though I have fixed both- but i'm thinking some repairs on gas may be more expensive as you'll need someone that will work with gas-  not a huge deal probably if they are common in your area.  If you've got a houseful of kids with lots of loads each week, I'm guessing the costs saving may add up and defray higher purchase price.  However, I'd also note that you can spend a lot of money on an elective dryer with bells and whistles or not much on a base unit.  My son and daughter-in-law bought a fancy one with a steam cycle and enough capacity to dry what seems like 2 loads at once.  It's what they wanted ( though i don't think they use all the options) but it probably cost as much as 2 of mine would cost. So initial costs, fuel cost, and # of load you run will all drive the life cycle costs. 

On 1/27/2019 at 3:29 PM, Eagles Dare said:

Gas all the way!

gas-leak.jpeg

I'm guessing, so the others might understand, that what you posted is a house that exploded because of a gas leak?

2 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

NG or LP? 

Propane sucks.  A more interesting thread would be to ask if Propane or electric is more economical.  We already know NG is better than either of those options.

33 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

I'm guessing, so the others might understand, that what you posted is a house that exploded because of a gas leak?

Yeah, wasn't the only one either. Google Columbia Gas Massachusetts. 

5 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

Yeah, wasn't the only one either. Google Columbia Gas Massachusetts. 

Have had a few down here as well. Last one killed a UGI worker.

28 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Have had a few down here as well. Last one killed a UGI worker.

Some years ago a guy on the site here lost his girlfriend and his dog when his house in California exploded - chunk of a neighborhood was destroyed by a gas leak. I don't recall the details but the pictures were horrific :(

That said, gas over electric - the cost to operate isn't even close.  I think it's roughly 50% less per load for gas.

TimS

25 mins ago, TimS said:

Some years ago a guy on the site here lost his girlfriend and his dog when his house in California exploded - chunk of a neighborhood was destroyed by a gas leak. I don't recall the details but the pictures were horrific :(

That said, gas over electric - the cost to operate isn't even close.  I think it's roughly 50% less per load for gas.

TimS

And some years before that, Baitboy from here, his house exploded right before the holidays. We did a quick fundraiser at the FF for him. He was in Mass. I think.