Linesideslayer

Plug Wall Went Up Today

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

This day is always filled with sorrow & joy all at the same time. Sadness & fading memories for the closing of hunting season, which for me starts off with a bang on Sept 1st Dove Opener and usually comes crashing closed with the end of Duck Hunting Season in Late January. But this day is also filled with hopefulness and happy thoughts for the fishing season to come. Today the decoys and hunting gear were stowed away for yet another season and the blank canvas of my plug wall went up. To christen the wall, of course a virgin sacrifice is in order, this year a newly acquired unfished Jigman 2oz Canal style Pencil in White/Chartreuse Scale I had recently purchased on here took the honor as the first to go up on the wall. Although too early to truly be the start of the striper season in my local waters, spring is in the air, warm sunny days are upon us shaking off the icy grip of winter and the days are growing longer, rivers are flowing out into the ocean and the first rumors of schoolie striper being caught are being whispered among surfcasters.  

A toast to a Great 2019 Season to all my West Coast breathern & SOL members from coast to coast. Tight lines to all in the up coming season! 

IMG_3782.JPG

11 hours ago, moocks said:

How well do those Cabelas Bootfoots go through the washing machine ?

Wait a minute, you are referring to the camo pair in the picture, okay Moocks maybe you haven't lost it quite yet! Those are my cold weather or snow melt waders, they only get used when we get a good enough freeze to break up ice at dawn in the duck blind (which hasn't happened in 4 years, stupid global warming) or when I fish a river too cold from snow melt to be comfortable in breathables. If I wear neoprene any other time, I just sweat to death in them, especially if long hike to the blind or river. 

So in the other thread where you were giving us a math lesson relating to how many hours a year you used your waders, you were referring to multiple pairs huh. There you go again Lying Linsider lol

1 hour ago, moocks said:

So in the other thread where you were giving us a math lesson relating to how many hours a year you used your waders, you were referring to multiple pairs huh. There you go again Lying Linsider lol

Nope just the breathable pair. That second pair variable is only factored in if we get a really good freeze, something I have not seen in the past four years. I can remember hunting with my father in the 80s and by December thru January he would bring an axe to the blind to break up the ice on the pond before setting the decoys out and make a big hole for the birds to land in because the ice was at least a quarter to half inch thick in the mornings. Neoprene was just coming on the wader scene, rubber was the gold standard with extra socks & two pairs of long johns were a must and you still had to stomp your feet every hour or so on the levee to get the feeling back in your legs. I can't say I have seen anything like that in the past ten years of duck hunting in the valley with the exception of skim ice in late January. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, Barkoff said:

No wonder lineslide wants to divorce you!

Moocks is a necessary evil, like Politicians & well...the Devil himself. Can't have good fisherman without him. I only jest at him, well because he would do the same to me. 

The Pencil in my avatar was made by a Finnish pike lure maker known as Solarfall Baits (named after his favorite heavy metal band), his real name is Mikko Okkonen and at one time he was an active member on SOL. He is a real nice guy and excellent custom lure maker, can check him out on youtube pintrest, ect. Has a bunch of tutorials. Like a Finnish Larry Dahlberg. He carves, he molds, he paints etc. His work is superb. I ordered that pencil from him just to lose it to an errant cast where the bail flipped over on me. It snapped, I stripped down to swim after it, but the rip tide carried it out to sea, so I immortalized it here since it was one of the first custom striper plugs I ever purchased. Since then he has made me several others, a couple with actual dried fish skins that he then airbrushed over. Real tits work.  

Edited by Linesideslayer

15 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Moocks is a necessary evil, like Politicians & well...the Devil himself. Can't have good fisherman without him. I only jest at him, well because he would do the same to me. 

The Pencil in my avatar was made by a Finnish pike lure maker known as Solarfall Baits (named after his favorite heavy metal band), his real name is Mikko Okkonen and at one time he was an active member on SOL. He is a real nice guy and excellent custom lure maker, can check him out on youtube pintrest, ect. Has a bunch of tutorials. Like a Finnish Larry Dahlberg. He carves, he molds, he paints etc. His work is superb. I ordered that pencil from him just to lose it to an errant cast where the bail flipped over on me. It snapped, I stripped down to swim after it, but the rip tide carried it out to sea, so I immortalized it here since it was one of the first custom striper plugs I ever purchased. Since then he has made me several others, a couple with actual dried fish skins that he then airbrushed over. Real tits work.  

Sounds like he was a good addition to SOL, it's a shame Mooks chased him away. :( 
  Does he have a site to look at his stuff?

17 mins ago, Barkoff said:

Sounds like he was a good addition to SOL, it's a shame Mooks chased him away. :( 
  Does he have a site to look at his stuff?

Moocks didn't chase him away and although I have been picking on Moocks lately, I hope there are no hard feelings, it is in jest and not really the truth, Moocks is a stand up guy that I personally hardly know with the exception of meeting him at Flings and in Mike F. garage.  Now I don't want to speak for Mikko, but from what he told me there were a few plug snobs that rubbed him the wrong way on here, plus he is predominantly a Pike lure maker so he felt this striper based forum wasn't for him. You can find his stuff on his YouTube page or just search Google images Solarfall baits, lots of pics there of his work. Pintrest is another way to see his stuff. I will try to get some pics of his other lures I have he made up on here, who knows maybe I will put a few on The Plug Wall for this season, just hope I don't have to swim after any!  

Here are his dried fish scale & foil sardine/anchovies he custom built for me. He rubberbands wet fish skins from caught fish around the raw wood plug until they are dry and then finishes the plug, adheres the skins and then the foil work, then airbrushes them and then epoxy. Very fishy!

Solarfall1.jpg