member_77807

Striper Topwater Flies

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Suave, thanks for your post...What you describe is what I was refering to. His description as to where the feathers came from is spot on. I may have used chick-a-bou incorrectly. Though the Butt part I remembered. Not at all shocking.

Thanks again, I will keep an eye out for his books.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:46 AM, tidewaterfly said:

Gartside was an interesting fellow & certainly a talented tyer. He was a master at doing it on the cheap. I mean that as high praise too, he seemed to know how to make the most of his resources. 

Suave, thanks for the additional information. IMO, I don't think it matters a lot what under body material is used for Gurglers. Probably more just a personal choice than making them more productive. They work. 

I agree about under body material, I haven’t used any for years now and it doesn’t seem to make any difference, I use foxxfur or craft fur for a tail because it’s light, has good action and doesn’t absorb water. One other thing I do is coat the foam with GO2 glue for durability.

JC

I originally tied these to skate across fast water for late summer SMB but they absolutely killed this past fall,performing outstandingly when few other flies were catching.When fished in the estuaries where I was it would slowly sink but rise suddenly w/ a short twitch w/ the majority of the takes as visible rises.

skater 20181026_200046.jpg

21 hours ago, Suave said:

Sns: interesting. What kind and size of hook (looks like a short one)?

LMB dropshot hook,1/0.Short to keep the fly nearer the surface,too heavy a hook makes it sink too quickly.A slow retrieve was good last fall but if you fish it on a brisk retrieve or in a current it won't get below the surface.The lip also gives it a wide wobble on a faster retrieve.

Thanks sns and here's my so so attempt at coming up with something resembling your fly on the left.

I had to guess at some of the material. So: EC L253 hook; tail, magnum rabbit strip over bucktail with KF as flash on each side; body-head, a thin collar of marabou around tail followed by palmered and trimmed marabou up to the lip; the lip is 5/16" wide and high and I tapered the piece of foam to the rear and wrapped it around the shank back to the tie-in point of the tail. 

I tried coming up with your fly on the right with the same tail and lip but making the body-head with first a 3/4 (sides and top) collar of long deer hair and for the rest, up to the lip, spun and trimmed deer hair. It didn't come out as I expected.

20190204_145609.jpg

8 hours ago, hipkvw said:

Gurglers are my favorite. I tie some big. 3/4” wide. 3/0. 

FC9A2CEE-3D03-4775-8303-BCD80CE42442.jpeg

017F4068-978D-42CC-8DF7-D1046D65074F.jpeg

5D84A36F-0829-4897-8119-88D5BDC1A301.jpeg

Looks to me as though the big fold of foam in the back would keep the hook higher than I want it.  I want my hook to hang lower for better hook-ups.

Herb

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, HL said:

Looks to me as though the big fold of foam in the back would keep the hook higher than I want it.  I want my hook to hang lower for better hook-ups.

Herb

So far I have never had an issue with hook-ups. I do them like that for a bigger profile. 

Edited by hipkvw

s n s: before hitting the vise and coming up with the fly I posted, I should have thought more about what you wrote on the performance of your  flies in the water instead of concentrating on the pictures. I think the fly I posted (with the palmered and trimmed marabou for the body-head) would sink rapidly and not come back up to the surface with a normal strip. But replacing the marabou with deer hair would do. As mentioned I had already done it with spun deer hair but didn't like the result.

So what I did was put a sparse bucktail collar (even long deer belly hair will do) around the tail assembly and tied it at mid shank and then from there to the lip tied two or three small bunches of deer body hair loosely on top of the hook shank (no spin) so that it also covered the sides. After trimming the deer hair, the fly looks pretty much as the originals.

So, if I may ask, is this the "right stuff" and the right way of doing it?

On 2/6/2019 at 11:19 AM, Suave said:

s n s: before hitting the vise and coming up with the fly I posted, I should have thought more about what you wrote on the performance of your  flies in the water instead of concentrating on the pictures. I think the fly I posted (with the palmered and trimmed marabou for the body-head) would sink rapidly and not come back up to the surface with a normal strip. But replacing the marabou with deer hair would do. As mentioned I had already done it with spun deer hair but didn't like the result.

So what I did was put a sparse bucktail collar (even long deer belly hair will do) around the tail assembly and tied it at mid shank and then from there to the lip tied two or three small bunches of deer body hair loosely on top of the hook shank (no spin) so that it also covered the sides. After trimming the deer hair, the fly looks pretty much as the originals.

So, if I may ask, is this the "right stuff" and the right way of doing it?

looked pretty good but I'd opt for more deer hair on the head to keep it from sinking too fast

I've been making quite a few of Slip n Slide's interesting poppers and floating squid flies (basically the same construction as discussed recently  in the June 16, 2018 "Striped Bass Squid Flies" thread on this Forum) and my learning curve in making those was not without hiccups. So for those who will be making these for the first time, I discussed my experience on that above thread, hoping that it could help somewhat.

Here's some of those poppers I finally came up with.

20190313_144433.jpg