member_77807

Striper Topwater Flies

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

For the most part, poppers & gurglers are what I use. I vary the sizes. Will make up some sliders, but get more success with the others.

I generally agree with bonefishdick, the actual patterns aren't often important. Use any that you like, and they'll all catch fish. 

100_4172A.jpg

100_4175A.jpg

100_4201A.jpg

100_4205A.jpg

100_4209A.jpg

100_4203A.jpg

100_4704.JPG

100_4706.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, tidewaterfly said:

For the most part, poppers & gurglers are what I use. I vary the sizes. Will make up some sliders, but get more success with the others.

I generally agree with bonefishdick, the actual patterns aren't often important. Use any that you like, and they'll all catch fish. 

100_4172A.jpg

100_4175A.jpg

100_4201A.jpg

100_4205A.jpg

100_4209A.jpg

100_4203A.jpg

100_4704.JPG

100_4706.JPG

Nice ones TideWater,

Thinking about tying some larger Gurglers for this year.   Maybe 1/0 thru 3/0. 

Has anyone used the craft store products that is similar to Estaz to tie Gurglers ?    Looks like you can buy about 10 yards of this stuff for the same price as buying only a couple of yards of Estaz.

HT

5c4e5302100c0_craftstore.jpg.543918bf45f39be1960575b4313a1aec.jpg5c4e5304bb8f6_craftstore1.jpg.ada327404d10a2a7a8548238b4c7446d.jpg

Edited by HillTop

1 hour ago, Suave said:

Nice ties all.

Marchese12: what's the total lenght of those flies and how thick is the foam on the top one?

They are between 3 and 4 inches long. The foam is close to 3/16s thick.

HT, I have been using Estaz, or Cactus Chenille, but have seen some pics of Gurglers where others are using similar craft store materials. Only way to find out if you'll like using it, is try it. 

Yes, Estaz is really getting costly. I have a good bit of it, bought when I could find it on sale, but would consider a less costly alternative if I found it. 

Actually, your comments have my mind working, I had seen some yarn online the other day, that's similar to Estaz. What I saw was Red Heart brand, and is called Scrubby Sparkle yarn. I had seen a different but similar yarn and that's what I was looking for, so apparently there are at least two similar products. I saw the Red Heart yarn at Joann Fabrics, and had seen the other product in Hobby Lobby or Michaels. A lot more material in a skein of yarn than what's sold as Estaz and about the same price. 

HT, I just found the other yarn, it's called  Yarn Bee Gilt Eyelash Yarn, and I found it online at Hobby Lobby. Comes in several colors. $6.99 for 111 yard skein. That's certainly better than what's being charged for Estaz. 

21 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

100_4172A.jpg

100_4175A.jpg

100_4201A.jpg

100_4205A.jpg

100_4209A.jpg

100_4203A.jpg

100_4704.JPG

100_4706.JPG

Tidewater those are really nice. Definitely wanna learn how to fly fish for striper.

17 mins ago, tidewaterfly said:

HT, I just found the other yarn, it's called  Yarn Bee Gilt Eyelash Yarn, and I found it online at Hobby Lobby. Comes in several colors. $6.99 for 111 yard skein. That's certainly better than what's being charged for Estaz. 

Tidewater,

I looked up both of the items you've listed but I can't find anywhere what the size is so I can't get a sense of proportion to the Estaz product.   

The two items I posted photos of above look very close to the same diameter as Estaz.     The supplier I found only has 3 versions, the two I listed and also one in gold.  I order a package of the White and one of White with Silver.   30 feet for $4.99 is pretty good considering you only get 6 or 8 feet of Estaz for the same price.    If interested I ordered this from a company called Factory Direct Craft.  On their site search for Wireless Chenille Rope.      Will try to report back here once it arrives.

HT

Estaz.png.ae7cde71efced60715102b02481b720a.png

HT, thanks! I have had the Eyelash material in my hands. Checked it out while out in CA, but didn't buy it. It's a longer fiber than Estaz Grande. More like "Hackle Flash" sold by Cascade Crest. I have not as yet seen the other material, but based on the size of most yarn skeins, it's probably not as long as the Eye Lash yarn, but longer than Estaz. I plan on getting some of each, so will let you know. 

BTW, I'm already a customer & subscriber of Factory Direct Crafts, but wasn't aware of that material, so thank you, I'll check it out. :theman:

I see the Gurgler well represented. I seem to recall hearing Jack Gartside one night saying that he used Chick-a-bou for the under body. Chicken Butt feathers. Am I mis-remembering? He had a number of flies he was tying at the time using a ,then, under utilized, and cheap, material.

I saw him in Middleborough at a TU meeting, I think....might have been 25 years ago though...yikes...He was still driving the cab I believe.

3 hours ago, Delta17 said:

I see the Gurgler well represented. I seem to recall hearing Jack Gartside one night saying that he used Chick-a-bou for the under body. Chicken Butt feathers. Am I mis-remembering? He had a number of flies he was tying at the time using a ,then, under utilized, and cheap, material.

I saw him in Middleborough at a TU meeting, I think....might have been 25 years ago though...yikes...He was still driving the cab I believe.

I think a lot of folks now use the various synthetic materials, but yes the original was tied with hackle. I wasn't aware it was Chick-a -bou that he used, so thanks for passing that along. The first ones I tied I used saddle or neck hackle, and eventually went to Estaz. I liked how it looked and really no other reason. 

BTW, the original also had a tail of bucktail, and I tie some like that, but also like the hackle tails. Both catch. 

Edited by tidewaterfly

11 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

I think a lot of folks now use the various synthetic materials, but yes the original was tied with hackle. I wasn't aware it was Chick-a -bou that he used, so thanks for passing that along. The first ones I tied I used saddle or neck hackle, and eventually went to Estaz. I liked how it looked and really no other reason. 

BTW, the original also had a tail of bucktail, and I tie some like that, but also like the hackle tails. Both catch. 

If I recall correctly, it was because hackle was stiff, and the chick-a-bou would move better. Undulate. He was coming up with a number of uses for those feathers, I don't recall what those were.

Edited by Delta17
Spelling

Maybe this will interest tidewaterfly and Delta 17.... and others...

I have three Gartside books, two on flytying , "Fly patterns for the adventurous tyer" (first ed. 1993 and 4th 2005, the one I have) and"Secret flies for fresh and salt water" (first ed.2005) and the 3rd "Striper strategies, secrets of a striper bum" (first ed.1997 and 2nd, the one I have, 2008).

The "Adventurous one" has a chapter of about 30 pages on the Gurgler with detailed instructions on how to tie the Gurgler and the Double Gurgler as well as the patterns for 20 "Gurgler variations". In "Presenting the Gurgler", the  opening paragraphs of this chapter, Gart side says that the Gurgler was born in 1988 in the Bahamas as a fly for jacks and tarpon and adds that over the years he made many modifications to the original Gurgler without giving details about the original except saying that it was derived from his "Hoverbugger" pattern, also in the book,  and this pattern has a foam body ribbed with a palmered saddle hackle.

The bodies of the Gurgler variations run the gamut from foam to palmered rabbit or other fur strip, GSS (Gartside's Secret Stuff), heavily palmered saddle hackle or blood marabou feather,  fur or synthetic dubbing, palmered pheasant rump marabou, chenille (cactus, Bohemian...), spun hollow bucktail and some of these have a "rib hackle" over the body, normally a palmered saddle hackle.

The other books also contain patterns for Gurglers or variations but they are the same as described in "Adventurous". So no mention of Chickabou feathers used for Gurgler bodies. But in both "Adventurous" and "Secret flies", the opening pages contain a glossary of "Fly Tying Material Terms" in which he refers to a CPF feather ( Chicken Poop Feathers, Jack's spoof on CDC  Cul-de-canard) which he initially called rump marabou. It is a feather "found around the anus of a chicken or just above the legs.... much more heavily barbuled and firmer than what is often referred to as chickabou....".

So it may well be that he  decided at one point to try making a Gurgler body with CPF feathers.

Gartside was an interesting fellow & certainly a talented tyer. He was a master at doing it on the cheap. I mean that as high praise too, he seemed to know how to make the most of his resources. 

Suave, thanks for the additional information. IMO, I don't think it matters a lot what under body material is used for Gurglers. Probably more just a personal choice than making them more productive. They work.