member_77807

Striper Topwater Flies

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

This is Rich Murphy's night topwater pattern called the Quarter Moon Special.  Fish it on a floating line.  I like to crawl it super slow along sod banks or I let it slow swing and wake in waves.  It makes a very substantial wake with the tail movement.  An intermediate line will not allow for the right presentation of thia fly at night.

6C1EE39E-7072-40F7-978C-E6716860A835.jpeg

129F00FC-4CB6-4A20-80EC-8E839E0B6D18.jpeg

97E7EAA3-7A5C-40BA-A274-3C93F323E06A.jpeg

CEF00143-5098-419E-9890-EC340230AA86.jpeg

A91D52D3-1C56-4D23-B4D3-4D8AE89595C0.jpeg

4F7EAA33-D6DE-4D6C-829A-900195102DA9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do much in the way of top water when it comes to Stripers but that doesn't mean that I don't use them. My personal feeling it is more about "the commotion" that a top water creates and not about the pattern for two of the three types

 

I basically tie three types, the Gurgler, a Dahlberg Diver type and a Crease fly. These three flies pretty much cover all the actions I might want to cover.

 

The Gugler is well known and there are many different ways of tying them in whatever color you prefer. I  like to have a little fun when I make them usually by adding some eyes.

IMG_0762.jpg.5290bfd207af6001ec629bfba591936e.jpg

 

The Dahlberg type I usu are made with Rainey's preformed heads.

 

IMG_0333.JPG.8801281970708e5a514f9ce025f313ba.JPG

 

The third style, the Crease fly is one that can be more effective when paying attention to the pattern you try to imitate. There is a great theard on the forum called The Crease Fly Thread by CaryGreene that will show you all the patterns you could possibly want.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, should rephrase that question: they do not look to me like poppers but more like crease flies.  Are they or, while looking like crease flies, are they in construction similar to your floating squid flies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Suave said:

Sorry, should rephrase that question: they do not look to me like poppers but more like crease flies.  Are they or, while looking like crease flies, are they in construction similar to your floating squid flies?

Same body as the squid,just a long tail assembly,basically a full tied bucktail and feather fly for the tail w/ a deer hair collar for the transition to the foam.Steeper taper on the face,no overhang on the front,2/3 45 deg cut,1/3 flat to keep it from diving on the pickup,I use it often w/ an I line to make it dive and pop back up ,the pause on the float up is where I get most of my hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks sns. One more project for a long winter. 

 

DonkeySticks, for detailed how to do these, see sns' pics and description on the  recent thread "Striper Bass squid flies" on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I don't do much in the way of top water when it comes to Stripers but that doesn't mean that I don't use them. My personal feeling it is more about "the commotion" that a top water creates and not about the pattern for two of the three types

 

I basically tie three types, the Gurgler, a Dahlberg Diver type and a Crease fly. These three flies pretty much cover all the actions I might want to cover.

 

The Gugler is well known and there are many different ways of tying them in whatever color you prefer. I  like to have a little fun when I make them usually by adding some eyes.

IMG_0762.jpg.5290bfd207af6001ec629bfba591936e.jpg

 

The Dahlberg type I usu are made with Rainey's preformed heads.

 

IMG_0333.JPG.8801281970708e5a514f9ce025f313ba.JPG

 

The third style, the Crease fly is one that can be more effective when paying attention to the pattern you try to imitate. There is a great theard on the forum called The Crease Fly Thread by CaryGreene that will show you all the patterns you could possibly want.

 

 

 

Hi Dick,  nice to see you getting pretty involved on the forums again.

 

On the Dalhberg style do you use a swivel ?  Talking to Rich Murphy yesterday at the Edison show and he suggested a swivel with the flies as he said they tend to rotate due to the non symmetrically foam head.

 

HT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a huge fan of Bob’s Banger. It allows for much more versatility than any other popper because it’s a systematic approach where heads are very easily interchanged to adjust to size/bait profile. Not only that, but it’s a very simple fly to tie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, member_77807 said:

Would anyone like to share some topwater fly photos. Was looking to tie some up for the spring run.

it should depend on what kinda bait you're imitating, popper, silicone head sliders, Blados crease, Gartside gurglers, Tabory snakes or slabs, Dalhberg diver, hell if you can spin hair well, you can make all kinds of stuff

 

the coolest flies I've ever seen on SOL, the striper on page two

 

 

Edited by ferret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HillTop said:

Hi Dick,  nice to see you getting pretty involved on the forums again.

 

On the Dalhberg style do you use a swivel ?  Talking to Rich Murphy yesterday at the Edison show and he suggested a swivel with the flies as he said they tend to rotate due to the non symmetrically foam head.

 

HT

 

 

 

I only used a loop knot, never noticed if they rotated or not, I work them slow with a good tug to make them dive and come back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ferret: located 10x10's thread. He was really an artist.

 

And although I haven't had much success with striper topwater flies yet (I promise myself to give them a better try-out this summer), here are a few I've made: poppers, gurglers, sliders, Bob's bangers and (fresh off the press, no coating yet) a slip n slide's popper.

20190127_095340.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Crease flies and deer hair poppers have already been mentioned.  I've had more success fishing crease flies with an intermediate line but a real fun fly to fish in any case.  Deer hair is just theraputic  to work with.  Years ago, too many, I got Page Rogers VHF tape on tying.  One of, maybe  her most popular pattern is the floating sand eel.  I hadn't tied one or fished one in years.  This October I happened to be on a beach with marauding stripers  in 1'-2' of water.  I only brought a handful of flies but I had an old yellowed floating sand eel that I tied on.  I hadn't gotten a tug for several casts so it caught me off guard that the first cast with the sand eel scored.  And the one after that and the one after that.  The 20" -25" schoolies were moving fast but I did manage to land and release a half dozen on the floating sand eel.  I made a mental note to tie up a few over the winter.  The fly on the bottom is the Rogers sand eel.

 

topwaterflies.jpg

Edited by JohnDe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.