Alexey

Yo-Zuri Hydro Minnow vs. SP Minnow

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2020 at 8:54 PM, tailspin said:

I always felt like my hook up percentage dropped pretty significantly once the hook rash set it. I throw green macs, and the sides up near the front treble get completely warn off! 

 

 

 

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, beret said:

Hook rash will not affect your hook up rate........you lack of confidence thinking it does affects your hook up rate........just saying

Lures get rashes from catching fish.... To say it's a negative is crazy.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Lures get rashes from catching fish.... To say it's a negative is crazy.. 

I was going to ask if anybody has ever seen a wounded baitfish before. They swim slow, near the surface, labored and irregular movement, and they have a whitish semicircular mark or two where the predator grabbed and lost them... I was thinking there's a market for pre-rashed plugs, similar to the way they sell guitars with fake wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 7:16 PM, beret said:

Hook rash will not affect your hook up rate........you lack of confidence thinking it does affects your hook up rate........just saying

There hook rash from using your gear and then there’s hook rash from using a lure so much it just needs to be retired. I wish I had a photo of the sp minnow I’m talking about. We’re also talking about a 7 dollar lure here, not a 30 dollar plug. 
 

I have been using the same sp minnow in bone for 3 seasons, hook rash and all....but I replace the silver Mac at least 3 times per season because of the way the exterior flakes off; this defiantly affects hook up rate. This is why I prefer the yo-zuri’s! 
 

But who knows, maybe I just fish too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, tailspin said:

There hook rash from using your gear and then there’s hook rash from using a lure so much it just needs to be retired. I wish I had a photo of the sp minnow I’m talking about. We’re also talking about a 7 dollar lure here, not a 30 dollar plug. 
 

I have been using the same sp minnow in bone for 3 seasons, hook rash and all....but I replace the silver Mac at least 3 times per season because of the way the exterior flakes off; this defiantly affects hook up rate. This is why I prefer the yo-zuri’s! 
 

But who knows, maybe I just fish too much. 

The ole double down. If you say it enough then it just might be true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Hm has out produced the sp minnow ! In the canal when Mach’s are in this plug can be deadly . Casts better for sure

You turned me on to this lure.  I should have known that it would be a winner. I like many yozuri products. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike them both.  my hookup ratio on SP is the worst if anything I throw.  I'd say for every fish I land I miss or drop 2-4 depending on conditions and size of the fish.  I dont even carry them in the spring.  I have a couple hydro minnows in the larger size for when the bass get picky in the spring but that's a last resort for me if they absolutely aren't hitting anything else.  hookup ratio still sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishing the LC last week for first time. Impressed. Tossing it where the blue backs are at and bass are whacking it.  Slow roll or moderate speed produces a hit. 
 

SP's will take a back seat for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use both sp and the hydro. I’ll take the sp over the hm. I’ve caught so many bass on them. But the joe baggs swarter became my real go to. Some nights I have crush them on that  lure. They all have there place. And everyone has their own favorite.

Edited by Steve_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.