Alexey

Yo-Zuri Hydro Minnow vs. SP Minnow

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I break out the HM normally on an outgoing tide when the waters getting skinny (4ft or less) and the wind isnt cooperating, otherwise the redfin gets the nod. SP for anything else.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:39 PM, kkennedy44 said:

If you use an sp minnow you need to change the split rings. The stock split rings can not handle a large fish. I’ve had several fish straighten the stock split rings.

and the hooks

On 3/3/2020 at 10:30 PM, tailspin said:

SP’s get hook rash as do shimanos. Yo-Zuri’s are way more durable and don’t get hook rash as bad...

Who cares about hook rash? Surely the fish dont. They are definitely more robust though.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:30 PM, tailspin said:

SP’s get hook rash as do shimanos. Yo-Zuri’s are way more durable and don’t get hook rash as bad...

Which color are you throwing? Chrome's got rash almost immediately for me, not that it really matters.

I always felt like my hook up percentage dropped pretty significantly once the hook rash set it. I throw green macs, and the sides up near the front treble get completely warn off! 

On 3/3/2020 at 2:49 PM, sinfish said:

Perhaps a better question would be "how do you like the Hydro vs the Red fin?"

Red fin is considered a "wake" bait and the Hydro is for "distance". Also, two different swimming actions between the two. Had a lot of luck with both of the those plugs last fall in dark colors at first light.

You cant go wrong with one of each. I prefer the HM 6 inch in skinny water and over rock piles. When you have the water to fish the SP floater it is deadly.  I prefer the 13 and 15 floater models. Truthfully I hope I dont have to pull either out all spring because both will be the smallest plugs in my bag.

Red fins are a totally different plug and shouldn't be considered in this conversation unless they are overloaded. 

Edited by SIC34
Duplicate post

14 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Red fins are a totally different plug and shouldn't be considered in this conversation unless they are overloaded. 

Couldn't agree more. I would throw the Bomber 16A in this convo over the Redfin. I fish pretty skinny water and the SP usually dives too deep catching bottom and hitting boulders. 

I alternate ate between the Bomber which runs a bit deeper than the HM but doesn't cast as well. I will say my hook up ratio is much better with the Bomber. I tend to drop more fish on the HM. 

the hydro minnow was the best producing plug for me last year along with my friends.  I fish Jersey and lots of skinny water.  Plug just produces big fish.. Saw a 25# on the 6 3/4" right next to me