CoffeeHangover

Spring Trout Fishing

34 posts in this topic

I have a reservoir rowboat NY ( don't use it that much )  but knowing the depth up to 100' led core line they start to come to the shallower waters as it worms . Spoons & lip swimmers work well for the Browns ( some 5-6 lbs ) but the Lakers which are usually deep are much larger with more activity . If I'm not rowing and the fish are suspended its pink metal jigs silver  Castmaster , Hopkins also work .. I'm mostly fly fishing the streams more often .  

Was fishing a lake upstate about 7 years ago and this kid comes by, tells me he caught 75 trout so far, that was just a few weeks intobthe season. 

He tells me kastmaster. I started using them more and never regreted it.

14 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Sitted around bored waiting for it to get warm again and I tried rigging a 3" sluggo weightless, gonna try this one out.

IMG_20190129_201308.jpg

Couple years ago I thought I saw a big bass so I threw a 4 inch Slug-Go at it. 22 inch brown.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like 8lb the same dia. As 6lb,,,just if you hook a 15in trout,,,thay will take you into the current and stay there for 5mins,,,,with the rod bent before thay will run up stream then back down,,,,that's when you need to slow them down before thay go over the falls,,,,:)

Edited by bennie

I'm talking from a row boat no motors : most of the good Trout guys are SLOW rowing / moving Sawbellies in depths up to 100' . It seems to be the best game , I'm just not that interested keeping bait alive or waiting the the shop guy to open up the store or keeping them alive overnight . Some of the Brown trout = 15lb -19lbs Lake trout = 15lb -17lbs April , May ,June 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:53 PM, Buckscorider said:

Was fishing a lake upstate about 7 years ago and this kid comes by, tells me he caught 75 trout so far, that was just a few weeks intobthe season. 

I catch that within 3 days of stocking season  :laugh:.... Just sayin  ....:laugh:.. Stock trout are sooo easyyyyy. But they do wise up afterwards. If they survive all the chain gang & bucket brigades.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:28 PM, bennie said:

I like 8lb the same dia. As 6lb,,,just if you hook a 15in trout,,,thay will take you into the current and stay there for 5mins,,,,with the rod bent before thay will run up stream then back down,,,,that's when you need to slow them down before thay go over the falls,,,,:)

:laugh:Hey Bennie,

I been using 3lb braid line. Ive scored 7lbs-8lbs trout without issue's. But they sure do :box:when they feel that hook in their mouth.... Tight lines to yaa Bennie. Ill get some fishing dune this year to try to make up for my dry line fever from last year :laugh:

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

I'm talking from a row boat no motors : most of the good Trout guys are SLOW rowing / moving Sawbellies in depths up to 100' . It seems to be the best game , I'm just not that interested keeping bait alive or waiting the the shop guy to open up the store or keeping them alive overnight . Some of the Brown trout = 15lb -19lbs Lake trout = 15lb -17lbs April , May ,June 

take me, take me, take me. Ill even row the boat....:laugh:

6 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

:laugh:Hey Bennie,

I been using 3lb braid line. Ive scored 7lbs-8lbs trout without issue's. But they sure do :box:when they feel that hook in their mouth.... Tight lines to yaa Bennie. Ill get some fishing dune this year to try to make up for my dry line fever from last year :laugh:

15in trout put up big fight,,,,:) can't wait to see you back on the water my friend,,,,,:hooked:

20170502_200831.jpg