CoffeeHangover

Spring Trout Fishing

34 posts in this topic

I'm thinking that this year i'm gonna step up my stockie game.  My go-to lure for panfish has always been the rebel f49 minnows, but I also love joeflies and other spinners.  I've never had much success with jigs but I watched scoobs video on rigging mouse tails and am planning on trying it out.  Any tips for catching stocked trout?

Small gamakatsu bait holder, tiny float, split shot, 2lb floro and live wax worms. Seriously caught more this way than with spinners etc. Stockies aren't all that hard to catch and wax worms keep for a long time.

Last year my buddy's son was catching them on those Berkeley mouse tails just sitting on teh bottom.  Make sure you check your hooks as a heavy gauge hook will prevent the bait from floating off the bottom.  Keep one pole with bait out and toss a spinner with another and it'll be basically impossible to not catch one.

Alright, I'll have to try mouse tails.  Never been huge on soaking bait though, i'll try some slow retrieves.  When I've seen people jigging trout they look like their just wiggling their rod tip while retrieving slowly, but how do I maintain line tension with such a light lure?

You could use a slip bobber and suspend the mouse tail on a jighead and split shot. Also works well with Trout Magnets and Crappie Magnets.

DG

7 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Alright, I'll have to try mouse tails.  Never been huge on soaking bait though, i'll try some slow retrieves.  When I've seen people jigging trout they look like their just wiggling their rod tip while retrieving slowly, but how do I maintain line tension with such a light lure?

Mini-jigging for trout is a fabulous finesse technique well worth learning.  You have an opportunity to watch them up close and personal.  Better than merely googling mini-jigging for trout and reading about it on the internet.  Pay very close attention to the gear they use.  It will pay dividends handsomely and shorten your learning curve.

3 hours ago, yosco said:

Who tasted them? 

Gulp or the hatchery pellets?  I know the pellets taste like ass...

8 hours ago, bass11 said:

Mini-jigging for trout is a fabulous finesse technique well worth learning.  You have an opportunity to watch them up close and personal.  Better than merely googling mini-jigging for trout and reading about it on the internet.  Pay very close attention to the gear they use.  It will pay dividends handsomely and shorten your learning curve.

+1

You already have the advantage of a stocked fish. Make it a bit more sporting and learn a skill that has many applications in fishing.

I'm with you on soaking bait, it's always more fun to throw a lure.

For me, jigging Trout Magnets or setting them up on a slip bobber are always working. Small crankbaits and jerkbaits are also a lot of fun to learn to use and catch trout on. Inline spinners are a great way to cover water quickly though! The Mepp's Black Fury has always done well for me. 

I really enjoy drifting salmon eggs and also trout magnets which a few of my friends say I am not allowed to use when I fish with them because I catch all the trout.

I targeted and caught some stocked trout last year.  It was something I just wanted to do since I hadn't done so in nearly 40 years.  Anyway, used a yellow Roostertail just as I had in the old days and caught multiple fish in a South jersey lake.